Monday, August 9, 2010

Remember - Only YOU can Prevent Forest Fires!


From 1969 school literature for children

My Daughter's Smokey Bear paper-bag puppet.

Smokey Bear is one of the longest running PSA's - started back in the '40's by the US Forest Service. The early ads were a bit on the grim side depicting an evil looking Hitler and Tojo and a blazing forest in the background, all of this apparently based on facts that the Japanese envisioned setting forest fires ablaze along the Oregon coast line as a weapon in the war.

In 1944, Smokey Bear, a softer image, came on the scene to bring his message, "Remember, Only YOU can Prevent Forest Fires!" - and he has been with us every since. The above artwork was done in 1969, my daughter was five at the time. Somehow this work along with the hand-out the school provided from the US Forest Service still remains in my Prized Possessions box.

4 comments:

  1. Your daughter drew VERY well for a 5 year old! I can see why these would be treasures. Interesting that you kept the Smokey Bear flyer, too. I didn't rememeber that he wore jeans! Flashback time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as a kid i was TOTALLY confused by Smokey Bear and Yogi Bear. I thought they were the same thing, and for some reason it really angered people around me that I couldn't keep 'em straight, lol. I learned to just pretend i knew which one was which. Then when there was baseball on TV with Yogi Berra, whoa! I kept looking for a bear. A bear that prevented forest fires! Oh, I drove my Dad crazy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that drawing is AWESOME for a 5 year old. I know 25 year olds that couldn't do that. no wonder you kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smokey bears message is timeless but still has meaning even though its now called Wildfires

    ReplyDelete