Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Final Farewell

Lou Pinella
                             AP Photo by Y. Huh


Lou probably put it best today when he said, "It's a good day to remember and also it's a good day to forget." Too bad the Cubs couldn't win the last one for Sweet Lou, but it was not to be as the scoreboard showed the  Braves 16 - Cubs 5.

As a mom myself (and a Cub fan) I found it quite moving that Lou's decision to quit now, before the season ended,  was so he could go home to help and be with his ailing mother. He leaves behind an amazing career and an overall record of 1,835 - 1,713, he made it to five World Series and took home three championship rings. I wish he could have he could have added one more ring to the total though during his four years with the Cubs...sigh.

You are a good man Sweet Lou!


1 comment:

  1. my mother was the biggest baseball fan out there! she knew all the stats of the players and the managers, and followed the progress of the Mets from the first exhibition games through the end of the season. My name, Casey, actually comes from Casey Stengel. He was manager of the Yankees when I was born, but went on to become the first manager of "Da Bums" the Mets. She and I went to Cooperstown one year, to the Baseball Hall of Fame, and she knew almost every old player in it, including the Negro Leagues. I was amazed. I still watch a game once in a while, and I've worked on a few books about the Red Sox and one about some Mets players, but my heart isn't in it. I remember her unbridled enthusiasm and it's a bit sad for me still.

    When my Dad and Mom were still alive, every mid-February, on "Pitchers and Catchers Day," the day that those players report for spring training, was always a day we went out to a nice restaurant. They always knew that winter was almost over, we made it through another snowy winter, if Spring Training was starting! That's another day I try to make something a little out of the ordinary for dinner, good memories there!

    ReplyDelete