Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Busy Brick Store


Shirpser's Store - El Monte, California

This photo fell out of an old album and I have no idea who the young man is in the photo, my guess is that it was taken around 1918. I do know that Shirper's Store was located in El Monte, California and it could have very well been their son.

There is just something about this photo that makes me happy when I look at it. Not sure exactly. Is it The Busy Brick Store name?  Or maybe it is just the gigantic smile on the young man's face.

3 comments:

  1. I like everything about this photo, Annie! It made me realize that almost none of my old photos show anyone that's blond! My family was all dark-haired, and it seems all of their friends were too, lol. This guy is such a classic California boy, the Beach Boy's grandfather, a native Cali man. I like the old signs and the wagon too. Great scan too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey, I know I get a little wonky with my scans at time, I rush along leaving perfection in the wake of my dust. You are helping me to get better. Yes we have a lot of blond or light brown hair in Southern California when I grew up, even before we took to our surf boards.

    My Mother was brown eyed from 'gypsy' Romanian stock, she would often remark that she was so tired of looking into blue eyes all the time and dreamed of at least one brown eyed child - never happened. She did get a brown eyed great-grandchild many years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the funny thing about my family is, as dark haired as we all were, we all had blue eyes/ my father was incredibly fair-skinned, which I am also, but my mother had olive skin, but very clear blue eyes, almost no 'flecks' in them. mine were probably the least blue of the entire family, more of a gray color in person, but blue in photos.

    ReplyDelete