Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Book Recommendation: "Like Water for Chocolate"


I read this book years ago and for some reason it popped into my mind recently. It was a marvelous book and even included recipes in a most unusual manner. Later the book was made into a movie and I thought, "no way" this can't be done - but they did and it was a great movie as well.


Like Water for Chocolate's full title is: Like Water for Chocolate: A novel in monthly installments with recipes, romances and home remedies.

The phrase "like water for chocolate" comes from the Spanish como agua para chocolate. This phrase is a common expression in some Spanish-speaking countries and was the inspiration for Laura Esquivel's novel title (the name has a double meaning). In some Latin American countries, such as Mexico, hot chocolate is made not with milk, but with water instead. Chocolate is usually melted over a pot of boiling water. The saying 'like water for chocolate' alludes to this fact. It can be used as a metaphor for describing a state of intense feelings or – sometimes – sexual arousal. It may also be used to refer to anger, such as being 'boiling mad'. Tita, the main character, actually uses the expression in the book when she says 'estoy como agua para chocolate' (I am like water for chocolate) meaning that she is boiling mad. Source: Wikipedia

If you need to find a little respite from the daily grind or just want to get your mind off the economy and the political antics of late, grab a copy of this book and enjoy the world of Tita, believe me she will get your mind off your troubles and take you away to a whole new place.



2 comments:

  1. I always wondered what this book/movie was about. The title put me off but now that you've explained it, it's not so bad. I've been thinking a lot recently about books I enjoyed. Like you, I plan to write about them on my blog. Books have always been my savior, so why not write about them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a good idea Keith. Finding just the little tid-bit that will explain but not give away the story.

    ReplyDelete