Saturday, January 1, 2011

Westward Ho!

Covered Wagons on the Santa Fe Trail

On April 7, 1852, one month after his married, my great-grandfather just twenty-five years of age packed up his new bride, my great-grandmother and began their journey westward to California. Both of my great-grandparents were born and raised in Arkansas.

Hard work was not new to my great-grandfather. He was a young boy when his father died in New Orleans  during Louisiana's first cholera epidemic in 1832 while there on a buying trip.  His boyhood days were spent hard at work on the family farm, deprived of even the basic primitive schools of the area. At age twenty he was able to work farms on shares and succeeded in accumulating some savings by age twenty-five when he made his first trip to California.
John Guess, Sr.
1827 - 1919

So armed with provisions for nine months, a wagon and two yoke of oxen and necessary equipment they left with a party of eighty wagons commended by Captain William Johnson taking a southern route from Arkansas through Texas via Fort Belknap, El Paso and Yuma and finally reaching El Monte, California seven months later. The wagon party had one skirmish with Indians en route which resulted with the Indians stealing about twenty head of cattle, but there were no injuries or other serious encounters.

John Guess made several other trips back to Arkansas with the hopes of purchasing and bringing herds of cattle to California, but the problems with the Indians precluded my great-grandfather from pursuing this venture. By 1867 he had purchased 100 acres in the area known as Savannah, near El Monte, and raised cattle, hogs, mules and horses. In later years he would add acreage and raise alfalfa and generally improve the property.

Harriett and John Guess
with their five surviving children
(My grandfather, Richard Guess, second from left)

I so admire this pioneer spirit and the ability to jump in a wagon and head out in a direction filled with so much hope. No guarantees, no road-maps, fast-food stops or cell phones, just self-determination filled with confidence and the support of friends and a great desire to succeed.


7 comments:

  1. That's amazing. A seven-month trip! You're right, people showed such an adventurous spirit in the old days. Hopefully we'll see this again when astronauts go to Mars on a one-way trip, which I hear is something in the works. The people who colonize other planets will have that same spirit. From the past to the future.

    Very interesting. How did you find all this out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. AMAZING STORY. SOUNDS LIKE MY GRANNY AND GRANDPA.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to be on that trip.

    I chuckled when you asked how I found this out...and I thought, well... at the dinner table. Yes, stories I grew up with, my grandma telling me about the curious Indians that would come and peer in her window... and all my dad's stories.

    But later when I was working on my family tree I came up with tons of documented family history. My father's family were very early pioneers to the Los Angeles area. In fact Uncle Henry was always believe to be the first white boy born in Los Angeles County, though this may be in dispute. Some historic records still show him having this honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Granny you must tell us your story. I really wish you had a blog... all those little snippets would make such good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing! I don't know many details of my family that far back except for their names and where they lived, and no one ever really left connecticut. as I haven't!

    great, great stuff, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky to know as many details as you do Annie. I found it interesting that he was "old" when he married. We had settlers in our family and those that lived in sod houses, barely survived (or didn't survive) prairie fires and so forth but we don't have the depth of story that you can tell. VERY interesting...thanks!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Casey and Mare. Recently when my grandson was doing his ancestry project he got so excited that he had relatives that went so far back in this country. When I finish my Uncle John story I probably should take the family history and weave it into a story. If only one from the new generation is interested it will be enough to keep it moving forward with time.

    ReplyDelete