Sunday, January 23, 2011

Turning Inward


"I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man that had no feet."

When I was a small child I often would sit at my grandfather's desk. Just barely old enough to read I would look at this plaque he had hanging on the wall - It said "I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man that had no feet." At first I thought it was the oddest thing and didn't understand its meaning, over the years I probably read it hundreds of times and finally I grew to appreciate those few words written on that plaque.

Without going into details yesterday was one of those days you are drawn into the closest of circles - the family circle. The rest of the world drops off into space and you are focused on one thing and one thing only your family member, the situation and how you can help.

Yesterday I thought of this saying that was written on the plaque that hung on my grandfather's wall. As bad as our situation was,  there had to be so many, many more that very same day going through far worse situations.

I have been very fortunate most of my life not to have had those all consuming events in my life. I felt so odd this morning when I woke up and I realized my vision yesterday had shrunk to probably no greater than fifteen feet at any given moment, color had vanished from the landscaped left with only the whiteness and glare from the recent snowfall.
There is a story to tell from yesterday's events and it will be told when the time is appropriate. I ended the day yesterday with knowledge that things are not as bad as they could be while at the same time far worse than you would ever imagine.

The next few days will be spent mostly in this small circle while we figure out solutions to problems, seek professional advice and remain close for support of each other. In the end when stripped of everything else - we are family.

~ ~ ~

"An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind." ~ Buddha
~ ~ ~
 "Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence." ~ Buddha

~ ~ ~

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries.
Without them humanity cannot survive." ~ Dalai Lama


6 comments:

  1. Take care and take all the time you need. Good luck with everything. We'll be here waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I will help in any way I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys...today was better than yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping in for a quick hi I was saddened to read your most recent post and yet it is one I so identify with...you say it so well as I can find no words for anything lately except for my constant prayer of "PLEASE"...
    Tight hugs to you Annie..focus...breathe..hold each other close in body or in spirit, whatever need be...and know that when you are in that private family circle that a family of caring friends are holding on to you and willing our strength and love to surround you...
    Peace my friend..
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you Mare, Bless you for taking the time to stop by. It is strange the comfort all of you "stranger-friends" have been. I guess we all meet where ever and under different conditions and as strange as it sounds to call someone a friend that you have actually never met, all of you and your kind and supportive words means so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SORRY TO READ THAT YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS ALSO. THESE PASS COUPLE OF WEEKS HAVE BEEN FULL OF SADNESS. HAPPY FACE IS SOMETIMES HARD TO DO WITHOUT THE STRENGTH OF MY LORD. THEN I JUST GRIN. MY THOUGHTS WILL BE WITH YOU TODAY ANNIE. TOMORROW WILL BE BRIGHTER FOR SURE. LEAN ON YOUR LOVING FAMILY.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete