Tuesday, January 18, 2011

R. Sargent Sriver - RIP


R. Sargent Shriver
Driving Force Behind Peace Corps
November 19, 195 - January 18, 2011

Not long after I posted the blog about John F. Kennedy's Inauguration fifty years ago, the driving force behind Kennedy's Peace Corps passed away. I think the Peace Corps was one of the BEST ideas that America has ever had. Rest in Peace Sargent Shriver.

"As far as I was concerned, the Depression was an ill wind that blew some good. If it hadn't occurred, my parents would have given me my college education. As it was, I had to scrabble for it." ~ Sargent Shriver

~
"Do we talk about the dignity of work? Do we give our students any reason for believing it is worthwhile to sacrifice for their work because such sacrifices improve the psychological and mental health of the person who makes them?"
                                                                                                ~ Sargent Shriver


2 comments:

  1. Chris Matthews did a great little piece on Sargent Shriver tonight. And you're right, the Peace Corps is one of America's great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that, I hardly ever miss Chris's show. I don't like it when he over-speaks people, but I love him, he is very passionate.

    ReplyDelete