Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Brief Look Back

The Awakening - Chesterfield, MO - Photo by Annie

My November Guest
By Robert Frost

My Sorrow, when she's here with me, 
Thinks these dark days of autumn rain 
Are beautiful as days can be; 
She loves the bare, the withered tree; 
She walks the sodden pasture lane. 

Her pleasure will not let me stay. 
She talks and I am fain to list: 
She's glad the birds are gone away,
She's glad her simple worsted grey 
Is silver now with clinging mist.

The desolate, deserted trees, 
The faded earth, the heavy sky,
The beauties she so truly sees, 
She thinks I have no eye for these, 
And vexes me for reason why. 

Not yesterday I learned to know 
The love of bare November days
Before the coming of the snow, 
But it were vain to tell her so,
And they are better for her praise. 

~

7 comments:

  1. what a cool installation! i would love to see that in person. It would look as cool in summer as it does in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous words. I am always startled by his phrasing and ideas. What a powerful writer he was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey: It really is an amazing sculpture by J. Seward Johnson. We got to meet him at the unveiling, he is a really neat and humble artist. He is one of the Johnson and Johnson heirs, perhaps that advantage left him to pursue his art without financial worries.

    Keith: Yes, I love Robert Frost as you do. Perhaps this spring I will take a copy of his collections and just sit in the park and read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'VE FALLEN AND I CAN'T GET UP.

    THAT'S HOW I LOOKED LAST MONTH WHEN I FELL AND COULDN'T GET UP.NO POEM JUST A CLOWNS MIND. LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one Granny... I should have had a caption contest, you would have won!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second the vote. You're funny, Granny, and this isn't the first time I've noticed.
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANKS KEITH. IF I DIDN'T LAUGH I'D CRY FOR WEEKS. I'M AFRAID THE TEARS WOULD SMOOTH OUT MY FACE WRINKLES. I'VE WORKED TO HARD AND I'VE EARNED EACH ONE OF THEM.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete