Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wings of Hope - Chesterfield, Missouri

I wanted to tell you a bit more about the Wings of Hope organization where I do my volunteer work each week. Wings of Hope was founded by a helicopter pilot, Joseph Fabick, and three other men in 1962. They had learned about a nurse in Kenya that used an aircraft to fly to different camps in the region to provide medical care. She was in need of a new aircraft and this need prompted these four men into action. In less than two years they formed their group and delivered a refurbished aircraft to the nurse in Africa. Since that date Wings of Hope has grown and now has 154 bases of operation in the United States and world-wide in 44 countries. With 2,000+ volunteers world-wide the organization serves more than 1,000,000 people each year.

Wings of Hope's Mission: Implement Humanitarian programs for a Peaceful world.


In the United States the Medical Relief and Air Transport (MAT) Program focus is on locating advanced treatment for people with complex medical conditions and providing safe Air Ambulance with trained medical staff to and from facilities throughout the Midwest.

Andrea, age ten, required fourteen transports and is now fully cured

Baby Kathy, age three months, three transports and is still healing.


The international efforts of Wings of Hope focus on strategies that help make the world a better place: healthcare and educational systems, sustainable food programs, infrastructure, development of commerce, dialogs for Peace, communications systems and supporting positive and strong community growth.

Wings of Hope aircraft stand ready to go when needed.


You can become a part of hope by becoming a member today, your $29 annual fee will save a life. Ninety percent of every donated dollar goes directly to help those that are served. For more information or to make a donation: Wings of Hope


4 comments:

  1. I've heard of the group. I think I saw a newscast feature on it once. Sounds like a great idea. What do you do as a volunteer Annie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a weekly basis I take care of writing the thank you letters for the donations that are received, I guess in the old days my title could have been correspondence secretary. From time to time other things such as helping staff an event that is given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you'd reveal that you were a daring pilot who flew rescue missions. I wouldn't doubt it, given your make-up. Personally, I love to write letters and think that is an admirable role to fill. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like that. In my next novel that's will be my persona.

    ReplyDelete