Sunday, December 5, 2010

Smoking and Drinking - Goes Together Like Ebony and Ivory

My Mom's Cigarette Case - circa 1940's

I was rummaging through some boxes last night that contains "stuff" from years ago, stuff that I really don't know what to do with. I came across this cigarette case that belonged to my mom; the case is covered in black leather and has my mom's initials on it in silver. It wears the patina that comes with age and use.

I have clear recollections of her using this case, the almost sensual way it would lie in the palm of her left hand while she flicked open the fastener with her right hand. A single cigarette was withdrawn with the finger and thumb of the right hand and the case snapped closed with the left hand.

With the case still resting in her left hand she would gently tap on end of the cigarette against the case to assure that the tobacco of this unfiltered cigarette was packed tightly. It would be at this precise moment that a gentlemanly hand would offer up a light to the lady. She would inhale deeply, let her head tilt back slightly, her eyes meeting the eyes of the gentleman,  exhale and offer up her "thank you".

Or maybe I was just remembering a scene from a movie with Bette Davis, Lauren Bacall or Ingrid Bergman. Whatever case it is, on this the day of the 77th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition, let's celebrate with a drink of Scotch and Camel cigarette.

~ ~ ~




7 comments:

  1. Wow...did this post bring back a memory flash for me!

    My mom emptying her ashtrays into her silver silent butler with the wooden handle. I wish I knew where that went after she died.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. RELINE THE CASE AND MAKE A TABLETOP PICTURE FRAME.
    GRANNY LOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny..........that's a GREAT IDEA. You are so clever. Thanks. I'm going to put it on my bedside table, you made my day.

    OHN - yes I remember those silent butlers, ahhhh the fine art of smoking and all the accouterments... Thanks for the comment, nice to see you here again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care what they say...smoking is damn sexy....I would have enjoyed the habit for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  5. GLAD I COULD HELP. I THINK IT WOULD BE A GREAT KEEPSAKE.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! that was great...I was wondering where it was going!
    That is a wonderful idea Granny! I was trying to think of what she could do other than just setting it out...wish I could say I thought of a picture frame! Fantastic...please post a picture when you do that AA!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked that. I remember my mother having a gold cigarette case. The gold was a loose fabric over a simple purse with a snap closure. The fabric had little gold squares on it and if you dragged it loosely over your hand, it felt orgasmic. They made smoking so alluring back then. I also remember my doctor always had a camel in his mouth during examinations. Weird to think of today. Hey, AA, nice descriptions!

    ReplyDelete