Thursday, December 30, 2010

January 1, 2011 - A Clean Slate


New years are almost like having a clean slate. New beginnings, resolutions made and not yet broken, a fresh start, out with the old, in with the new. It's refreshing to think you can start off with a clean slate, take the little red magic writing pen and make your mark for 2011 without all the old baggage you have been carrying around with you for the past year.

Some things though you do carry forward with you, like maybe your mortgage that still has 28 years, 11 months and 12 days to go before being paid off. Or maybe you are one of the 15 MILLION unemployed, in which case you hope you can write, "Today I found a job!" on your clean slate.

Or maybe you are a family that has lost a loved one to an untimely death, due to war, a drunken driver, a drive by shooting, street violence, disease or just some stupid accident. A clean slate doesn't help much in these instances, maybe just gently lift and roll up the magic slate to just before the loss, that would be good enough.

Nevertheless we look upon the New Year as a fresh start, like taking down the 2010 calendar and tossing it in the trash as an act where we can toss out all the bad old stuff with it. When I lived in California I would often walk along the beach on December 31st and reflect on the year past and what changes I was going to try to make in the new year. Not so much the making of resolutions as it was a time for inward thinking. For some reason feeling the sand between my toes tended to ground me and I viewed the waves constant motion and change as a reflection of time itself.

As we embark upon this new year let's remember that there is lot's of work to be done. If you are young and nimble find a cause and put some of your free hours to work helping others. Seniors too have time to give, do what your body will allow, every little bit helps. Hunger never takes a holiday, and the next few months local area FOOD BANKS will begin to see a decline in donations and help. It's the usual seasonal slump after the holiday giving wears off. We are a very giving nation but we need to be reminded from time to time. Click here to locate a food bank in your area.

Matt Damon has WATER as a cause. Simply to bring accessible water to parts of this world where water is not a close as your kitchen faucet. A simple necessity - water - which we just take for granted. Most organizations are happy to accept your dollars, but many are delighted when you can give the gift of time to lend a hand.  Click here for Water.Org information, check out the possibilities.

These are just two of life's necessities -  Food and Water - where your help is needed year round. Get involved in something this new year. Remember 2011 A New Year, a clean slate waiting to be written upon. This is the year you can make your mark.

5 comments:

  1. Good post, Annie. I like the fresh slate analogy. One of the things I tell people who are trying to stop drinking is that you can leave your guilt behind. There's no percentage in putting yourself through that, as long as you've chosen a better road. I don't think people should beat themselves up.

    Like you say, do a bit of inward thinking -- and then move. All we can do in a bad situation is choose the right road and start walking it. This is kind of a clean-slate idea, too. Yes, we must think and make sensible decisions. And then all we have to do is keep on going. The past has no real hold on us. It might as well be a dream.

    Happy New Year! It's been great getting to know you, Annie. May you blog forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVELY post Annie, love the analogy..wish I had such creative thought...it's one of those "why didn't I think of that" posts.
    Writenow...enjoy your thoughts also...I have learned from my son that I really shouldn't dismiss history (the worlds or my own) too quickly. The guilt, yes, but we do learn from our past, our mistakes, our victories, etc...and that is where I think your "think and make sensible decisions" is perfection (not easy, but a great thing to do.)
    Happy New Year, Happy New Slate...
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to both of you guys. Nice to have you around..........it's a cozy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHEN FATHER TIME COMES KNOCKING ON MY DOOR, I JUST OPEN IT UP AND TIP MY HAT TURN AROUND CLOSE THE DOOR AND GO TO BED. I CAN'T REMEMBER EXCEPT ONCE THAT I STAYED UP TILL MIDNIGHT. I HAVE NO DESIRE. JUST ME.I SAY A FEW PRAYERS FOR EVERYONE ON MY LIST AND THEN GO TO SLEEP.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember the last time I actually was up to see the New Year in. We always hated going out on New Year's Eve so instead we would have a party and let friends come to us. I love the TV shows when they do a recap of the year. I wonder if they have fallen out of favor, don't see them so much anymore. Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper will be doing the Times Square thing again this year. I will pop in a watch it. I love the way Kathy gets Anderson to giggle, I don't think he knows exactly what to do with her. lol

    ReplyDelete