Monday, December 13, 2010

Lieutenant Governor's Senior Service Award - State of Missouri

Receiving Senior Service Award at Wings of Hope
from Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder




About the Senior Service Award.


Mission Statement: The Lieutenant Governor’s Senior Service Award is intended to promote and highlight the positive accomplishments Missouri’s senior citizens provide their local communities. Individuals should be at least 60 years of age and volunteer a minimum of 40 hours per year.
“There are thousands of Missourians whose lives are touched by the unselfish work and caring hands of volunteering seniors. These acts of kindness go on unnoticed all around us every day. These seniors offer their time and labor back to the community, and I want to bring these stories to the public, so we can all thank them for their work.”
Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder

All morning I was a nervous wreck but now that it is all over I can honestly say it was a great honor to receive this award. Regular readers of my blog know how near and dear to my heart the Wings of Hope organization is and it is my pleasure to be a small part of it.

I would encourage all of you seniors especially, to take some of those retirement hours you have on your hands and get involved in volunteer work in your own hometown. The work itself is its own reward, but in the process you meet the neatest and kindest people along the way. Volunteer opportunities are just around your corner.

(left to right) Acting-Mayor City of Chesterfield, Barry Flachsbart, Lt. Gov. Kinder,
Award Recipient Me, and State Representative Cole McNary




Annie Pick Day
In the City of Chesterfield

This was a surprise the Acting-Mayor of Chesterfield was at the ceremony today and proclaimed December 13, 2010 as Annie Pick Day In the City of Chesterfield. Oh, my I have never had my own day before, I'm not sure what to do with it.


8 comments:

  1. Your own day! I'm so jealous! But seriously, Annie, that's great. And yes, I do know how dear Wings of Hope is to you. Congratulations. If only everyone was involved in this sort of mission.

    I'm very happy for you!
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie,

    I just found your blog through a google alert. I run an online-only community newspaper in Chesterfield called Patch. You can find us at chesterfield.patch.com. We've been up and running since early November, so we're still pretty new.

    I'd like to talk to you about the award you received. Could you send me an e-mail at rachel.heaton@patch.com?

    Congrats on the award and the day in your honor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT'S A WONDERFUL FEELING TO HAVE YOUR OWN DAY. I WAS YOUNG WHEN I WAS QUEEN FOR A DAY IN MY HOMETOWN BUT IT MADE ME FEEL VERY SPECIAL.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! To be recognized for volunteer work is the best it gets in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rachel, Granny and Casey. It definitely a 'red plate' day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS Annie !
    You certainly deserve the honors. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks X, no matter what they say you are a sweetie pie.

    ReplyDelete