Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Palin-tologist


My daughter has given me this moniker, Palin-tologist, and I will be the first one to admit that I am obsessed with this person - and she scares me to death! I "follow" her on Twitter,  for one purpose only - and in the same manner you would keep an eye on a rabid dog you encounter in an alley somewhere.

A shutter went through my system when she was nominated as the GOP vice-presidential candidate and I would see the eyes of my Republican friends glazed over in awe and wonder. She was too good to be true, you betcha! I told myself then and there that I needed to get off my duff and get to work to elect Barack Obama or I would wake up the day after the election and find Miss Congeniality a heartbeat away from the presidency.

Well all of that was two years ago and now the real tale of the Tortoise and the Hare is being played out before us. Mainstream Republicans, starring in the role of the Hare, are sitting quietly by in the shade of a giant sycamore tree sipping a lemonade, just waiting to time their entry into this race. In the meantime the Tortoise named Sarah is plodding along, giving up a dead-end low paying, out of the limelight job as Governor of Alaska  and has filled her shell up with best selling books, speaking engagements and television gigs, some tagged as reality events.

Before our very eyes she clobbers halibut, shoots antlered animals to the cheers of her hunting mates, all this, we are told, solely to feed her fine family. I'm not an anti-hunting advocate but seeing her perform these acts on TV is beginning to turn me into one.

But before I totally turn my readers off with this rant let me make the point I really want to make here, and that is, a tea party in 2010 is no longer the 'pass the sugar - one lump or two' event of years past. There is an incorrectness and reversal of human policy brewing inside the Tea Party movement that I think behooves keeping a close eye on. I mean for real, listen to this:

Judson Phillips advocates land-ownership voting
“The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”
Whoa, wait a minute - is this guy serious? Property owners have more of a vested interest in the community? How long will it take to revert to putting blacks back on the back of the bus and to work in the cotton fields? I 'm not privy to the back room meetings of The Tea Party members, I can only imagine what they have in store for America while they cuddle a copy of the Constitution under their arm.

Strange things happen during times of unrest and economic uncertainty. People feel despair and weakened and there are those in our society, like the hunter-animal, that are ready to pounce and fill their bellies with the slow and the lame.

Keep a watchful eye and listen to what's being said and don't let yourself be tricked by a pretty face. The finish line is not as far down the road as people may think. Time to get in the race boys.

~

When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....



2 comments:

  1. Tea anyone?

    Judson Phillips is a fool, so all our military personnel, firemen, policemen and elerly who don't own property can't vote?

    How about all people who have filed bankruptcy can't vote (like Judson Phillips), or those you fail to answer questions about our country history can't run for public office (like Sarah Palin or Christine O'donnell), how about that, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I think I will stick with coffee.

    ReplyDelete