Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Feliz Navidad You All



Today I have been the little tamale maker, all in preparation for my annual Christmas Eve dinner - celebrating our neighbors to the south and because you can't beat Mexican food, muy delicioso. I've been filling corn husks with a masa and a beef mixture that has transported me away to a little village in far away Mexico as I filled and rolled and tied the corn husk bundles.



In a way it nice to be transported away from the daily goings on of American political life. To have a day devoted to no opinions, no cares, no worries. This I can do for a day or two but probably not longer than that.

Tomorrow the grand kids are coming over to decorate the last batch of Christmas cookies. Then Thursday I will finish off making the chicken enchiladas, and Mexican Christmas Salad, which is an elaborate fruit salad. Friday I make the Chile Rellenos, bake the enchiladas and warm up the tamales. After dinner the gifts will be opened and then we will enjoy some coffee and cookies and with that it's all done for another year.

However you celebrate this time of year I wish you peace, joy and good health.

 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks AA - I just had to dance!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so great, Annie. I'm jealous. Mexican food is one of my favorites. You're like a Currier & Ives Christmas postcard today! Feliz Navidad, my friend.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currier & Ives with a south of the border twist. LOL Feliz Navidad to you too, Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE SOUTH OF THE BORDER FOOD ALSO BUT I'LL TAKE TURKEY OR HAM FOR CHRISTMAS THEN COME OVER FOR LEFTOVER AT YOUR HOUSE THE NEXT DAY. IT'S OUR CUSTOM TURKEY OR HAM. YUM

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do Mexican for Christmas EVE...........then Christmas day back to turkey or if I'm not cooking someone will slip in a ham (not my favorite)...must be the Jewish in me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our house, the de rigeur food item for Christmas and Thanksgiving is lasagna. It ain't Christmas without lasagna. And I hear manicotti is the Xmas Eve meal this year. Loud cheers for both from me.
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  7. KEITH, SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feliz Navidad everyone! That song makes me have to dance around!
    Annie, we have to come up with a recipe share page..will work on that after new year's.
    Have never made what you are making and it sounds "delish"!
    Everyone have a joyous Christmas...
    (and a happy lasagna day Keith!)
    Granny...please pass the ham...i enjoy it on a rare occasion, but none of my kids seem to appreicate it!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love Mexican food! I love the melted cheese and chilis and all the spices. I don't think I've ever made it at home though, it seems to exotic and difficutl! The most I've ever done are beef tacos, and they were more Taco Bell than anything else, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I miss Mexican food on Xmas Eve...especially yours!

    ReplyDelete