Monday, October 18, 2010

Why does this have to happen?


Phoenix Capsule - Copiapo, Chile
Photo by Rodrigo Arangua, Agence France-Presse - Getty Images

It hasn't even been a week since the last trapped miner was safely brought to the surface, four plus days for the world to revel in that feel good feeling. At 12:04 a.m. on October 12 the first trapped miner was brought back up to the surface, safe from what seemed to be surly, an earthly grave. Less than twenty-three hours later at 9:55 p.m. on October 13 the last trapped miner and shift foreman made it up safe as well. Very soon after that the last of the rescue workers that went down the shaft announced "mission accomplished" and rose like the Phoenix from the ashes to a cheering and jubilant crowd and world.

It is instances like this that fills my heart with hope for mankind. I'm a real softy under all this thick and aged skin. I weep for people I don't know and will never meet. For a short time I become one with the universe, brother to all men. And you know what? It feels good. Yes, it feel good to see people working together to help each other out. It feel good to see a group of men, in what has to be the most desperate of times, ever in their lives, find ways to survive, to live and be the best that it takes in the worst of times.

All of what has happened hasn't diminished, it's just that I wanted this feel good feeling to last longer. I wanted time to pass and be reassured that each an every miner, despite the experience he went through, would survive physically and with his mental health intact.

Before the last miner had reached safety there was already stories being circulated about grand offerings of money for television appearances, books, t-shirts, coffee mugs - you name. If you could sell it, it was offered. It is this side of capitalism that I hate, mostly because it robs me of my feel good moments, but also because it tends to corrupt people as well.

In a news story breaking today the corruption begins. "Cracks appear in miners 'pact of silence' story." I'm in no way blaming the miners, they are still in a fragile state of mind and will be for some time. And I doubt during those months of being trapped the first thing on their minds was thoughts of  getting an agent.

So why does this have to happen? Is it because of me, since I turn on my TV and watch this story? Am I the force that drives the market? Can't it just be a story told and not a marketing opportunity? Can't I just have this feel good feeling for awhile longer? Please, pretty please.

5 comments:

  1. ANNIE, OFF SUBJECT BUT I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I LIKE THAT BLOG CALLED HERMITAGE. I'VE BEEN PEEKING AT THAT ONE FOR A LONG TIME. I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT BUT ILIKE IT BECAUSE IT'S DIFFERANT.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOW TO YOUR STORY ABOVE. I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD. IT SEEMS EVERYTHING COME WITH SOMEONE MAKING A DOLLAR. I WISH THEM ALL LUCK IN THE FUTURE AND BEST WISHES. I SAY JUST BE HAPPY TO BE ALIVE. WHAT I CAME OUT OF THE WATCHING THEM ONE BY ONE COMING TO THE SURFACE IS THAT THE CHILEAN PEOPLE ARE VERY LOVING PEOPLE. I FELL IN LOVE WITH THEIR PRESIDENT. HIS SMILE MADE ME MELT. SUCH A LOVING MAN.I HOPE HE'S THAT WAY IN REAL LIFEIT WAS WONDERFUL TO SEE. THERE'S SO MUCH HATE IN OUR WORLD.SATAN IS ALIVE AND WELL IN OUR WORLD BUT NOT FOR LONG. GOD ALWAYS WINS.

    LOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting Granny, your faith is strong and will get through. I'm afraid I am much more of a realist; giving God credit for all the good things in life and Satan credit for all the evil, doesn't work for me. At some point man has to stand up and become a active participant and accept responsibility for the good and the bad. But that is just my opinion and what works for me.

    Yes, I love Rima's work. She is a very talented artist on so many levels. I always enjoy her work. I would love to own one of her clocks. Have you seen the books she has illustrated? They remind me so much of some of the books I had as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH OTHER PEOPLES OPINIONS AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HURT THE OTHER PERSON. WHAT A WORLD THIS WOULD BE IF WE WERE ALL ALIKE. A BUNCH OF ZOMBIES. AND YES, GOD GAVE US FREE WILL TO DO GOOD OR BAD. LONG STORY THERE ALSO BUT I MAKE TO MANY MISTAKES WHEN WRITING MY STORIES AND THOUGHTS SO I HOLD ALOT TO MYSLF. I LIKE KEEPING MY FRIENDS. HAVE A GOOD EVENING. THE SUN IS SITTING IN THE WESTERN SKY. 7:05 PM RIGHT NOW.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete