Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Gateway Arch - St. Louis, Missouri

Drawing by Nicholas Rallo

On this day, October 28 in the year 1965 the Gateway Arch was completed. Construction began on February 12, 1963, the completed arch stands 630 feet tall and is 630 feet wide at its base.


While it is a beautiful structure I can only admire it from afar, or I should say from its base. Structures this high up in the air whether they are curved or straight up are not my cup of tea. On a clear day, I am told, the views from the top of the Arch can extend up to thirty miles. The elevators that take you up to the top are egg shaped. The ride to the top takes about four minutes but you can make the return trip in three minutes.

If you come to St. Louis for a visit I think it would definitely be a must see, just don't ask me to accompany you to the top. There is a wonderful museum at the base of the structure, this I have visited. The arch was built to commemorate the Westward expansion of the United States and honors three events in American history; the Louisiana Purchase, the establishment of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis and the Dred Scott case.

6 comments:

  1. I SAW THE ARCH YEARS AGO DRIVING BY ON A TRIP. NO GRAMPS WOULDN'T STOP. WHEN YOUR ON A TRIP WITH HIM YOUR LUCKY TO STOP TO USE THE BATHROOM.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't make the stop, always take time to smell the roses. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, my son is helping a friend drive from Nashville back to NE for a visit. Anyway, he just sent me a "hard-to-see" picture through the front window of the car and there it was....the ARCH! How exciting...on it's anniversary!! WHO KNEW??? Keep snuggled under the comforter tonight!!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT'S 84 DEGREES TODAY

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny-have you seen the temperatures on my site? BRRRRRRR!!!!! and it is 60 in the house this a.m.! Yikes! do you still miss NY in the fall and winter??? :)
    mare

    ReplyDelete