Saturday, November 20, 2010

Xmas to Go


I finished up my Xmas to Go containers for my to be baked cookies. My three granddaughters, ages 23, 19 and 16 all reminded me today that they really, really wanted to decorate cookies again this year. I just love it, it is something we have done almost every year since they were big enough to sit up by themselves. I will begin the baking process right after Thanksgiving. I make the cookies ahead and then turn the kids loose with frosting and food dye and sprinkles for them to do as they like. This year I think I am going to make some fudge and peppermint bark candy as well. Can't wait to get started.

Here is a copy of my Snowball Cookie recipe that has been used every year since I was a little kid. When I was little these cookies were baked ahead (they do get better with time) and stored in a large glass jar and then hidden behind the sheets in the linen closet in the hallway. Always every year, hidden in the exact same place. Every year I would sneak a sample of cookies from the jar and leave a trail of powdered sugar behind. Nothing was ever mentioned as the cookie level would drop by an inch or two each year.

Snowball Cookies

1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 cups finely chopped walnuts

Cream butter until soft; add 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar, salt, nutmeg and vanilla, continue creaming until thoroughly mixed. Stir in flour and nuts. Shape dough into small balls. Place on baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and quickly roll the hot cookies in the remaining two cups of powdered sugar. Cool, roll again in powdered sugar. Store in air-tight container. Makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies about 1" in diameter.

~ ~ ~


2 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipe! a friend of mine starts making cookies for Xmas as soon as Thanksgiving is over. She makes 10-12 different types. Every Xmas morning, hanging on my front doorknob are her cookies. It's usually the only present I get since I don't celebrate the holiday, but it's a great treat to taste all the different types.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'D LIKE THE PEPPERMINT BARK CANDY RECIPE MY 87 YEAR OLD LADY FRIEND HAS IT EVERY YEAR. SOMEONE GIVES HER THE CANDY EVERY YEAR. GRAMPS AND I ARE ALLOW ONE PIECE. J/K.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete