Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sweet Potatoes Hawaiian Style - So Ono

 Sunset on Maui

Probably for more than twenty years this recipe has replaced the candied yams/sweet potatoes recipe that was made and which I hated, but which I prepared because it was the tradition. My first taste of Ono Sweet Potatoes and I was hooked. It must be the addition of the bananas that give this dish its subtle different flavor, sweet but not 'icky' sweet the way I find candied yams. And the added crunch of macadamia nuts and crushed cornflakes is a nice topping. It couldn't be easier to make and will not add any extra stress to the T-Day menu. Enjoy from the land of Aloha.

Ono Sweet Potatoes

Serves 4 – 6

                                1 (24-ounce)      can sweet potatoes or yams, drained
                                3 ripe bananas
                                1 teaspoon cinnamon
                                ½ teaspoon salt
                                brown sugar
                                ¼ cup    macadamia nut bits / chopped macadamia nuts
                                ¼ cup    crushed corn flakes
                                ¼ cup    melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mash sweet potatoes and bananas with cinnamon and salt. Place in a baking dish. Top with a thin layer of brown sugar. Mix nuts and corn flakes. Spread over brown sugar. Pour melted butter over top. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

From A Taste of Aloha by The Junior League of Honolulu, Inc. 1983

2 comments:

  1. THIS MADE MY MOUTH WATER. YUM, YUM.I BET THERE'S SOMEONE IN THIS HOUSE THAT WILL TRY MAKING IT. THANKS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might try this for the girl's Christmas dinner at my sister's house. She always wants me to make something.

    ReplyDelete