Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Sound of Aliens Arriving From Outerspace


Periodic Cicadas on my window screen






I have been going slowly CRAZY with the sound of CICADAS outside. Even with the all the windows tightly shut it still sounds like the landing of a squadron of alien spaceships... Talk about Chinese Water Torture - this has to be a close second.

Every year we have cicadas but this special occurrence of the Periodic Cicadas does not happen every year. I remember this happening in the early '90's when I first moved back here - it was a warm day and I had my windows down in the car... as long as I was in motion everything was fine, but when I can to a halt at a stop sign all of a sudden my car was full of the creatures.
They "sing" all day long, never taking a break.... can someone say "Unions", aren't these guys entitled to at least a couple of bathroom breaks a day?



Cicadas Return To Missouri

COLUMBIA - After 13 years of hibernating cicadas are expected to make their appearance in Missouri by mid-May.

Cicadas come up from the ground every 13 years and flock to the trees. They're known for being noisy making their mating sound. When the eggs hatch the baby cicadas crawl back underground to hibernate for another 13 years.

The cicadas do not sting or bite and the season peaks in Mid-June. However, some residents claim they are already here.

One expert claims that in heavily wooded areas there may be more than a million cicadas per acre.

For more information, please visit: http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/forest-management/forest-health/periodical-cicadas

 

7 comments:

  1. Maybe you can eat them? Some grasshoppers are supposed to be delicious. Though I haven't yet been hungry enough to find that out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I'll pass. A least they are quiet at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had them in the car, too, Annie. What a trip. If we think they sound loud in trees, that's only because we haven't heard them inside our cars. I like their sound (though I've never experienced a million in one acre) and I think it's funny the way they fly right into you. Plus they're such a boon to animals who eat them. But then I like spiders and wasps too. In any case, they won't be around for long. Their life cycles are so odd. Sleeping for 13 years? Anyway, hang on, Annie. They'll soon go back underground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE HAVE LOVEBUGS, YOU HAVE CICADAS. LOVEBUGS RUIN THE PAINTJOB ON YOUR CAR. CICADAS JUST SING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of aliens, Annie, you will LOVE this:

    http://gawker.com/5808443/comment-of-the-day-sarah-palin-at-your-service

    ReplyDelete
  6. WEll...that just sounds....ANNOYING!!! I have to look this up...are they grasshoppers? (we had the plaque here with grasshoppers last year!) Hmmm, off to ck it out...Let's hope they go back to sleep SOON!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have calm down now - only a buzzing... they will be gone soon. They only "sing" during the daytime and are quiet at nice which is nice. I don't know if they are related to grasshoppers or not...they don't have hopping legs, but have wings and they fly.

    ReplyDelete