Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Neil Diamond Songs I Really Love

Four Neil Diamond songs from about a ten year span - whew,  re-listening to them again just now I realize how they were little snapshots of my life from 1969 to 1978. I am carried back in an instant to exactly where I was in time with each song.



Sweet Caroline - 1969 an unanticipated affair and falling in love...
Where it began
I can't begin to knowin'
but then I know it's growin' strong.
Was in the spring
then spring became the summer.
Who'da believed you'd come along ?
Hands, touchin' hands
Reachin' out, touchin' me, touchin' you.
~



I am I said - 1971 driving down the Pacific Coast Highway, windows down and music blaring. This was me... no one heard...

"I am"... I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair

"I am"... I cried "I am"... said I
And I am lost and I can't
Even say why
Leavin' me lonely still
~



Song Sung Blue - 1972 moving on - I've got no choice...
Funny thing, but you can sing it with a cry in your voice
And before you know, start to feeling good
You simply got no choice
 ~



You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore - 1978 and so it is over, but the memories remain...
But used-to-be's don't count anymore
They just lay on the floor, till we sweep them away
And baby I remember all the things you taught me
I learned how to laugh and I learned how to cry 
~

7 comments:

  1. OH wow! LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Different times in our life, but I know what you mean! "sweet Caroline" out for a summer's evening drive in an old 1960's army green rambler with my honey as Sweet Caroline blares on the radio probably KOMA out of Oklahoma City...turning around and heading back toward town...I can see it...as the rambler shudders when we hit 60 and I look at "him" and that handsome young man gives me shivers...
    ahhhhh...young and in love!
    Thanks!
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music and scents... be it perfume, a flower, the ocean... can invoke such incredible and vivid images in our heads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil Diamond was the soundtrack of AM radio in my 1960s childhood. That said, I'm afraid to report I don't love most of his songs.

    But "Sweet Caroline," you know about Boston, right? I think it's Boston. Heavens I can't even fake being a sports fan but some team or another the fans sing this song at every game. It was in a very sweet movie starring Drew Barrymore. Here I googled it: "Fever Pitch." Annie you would like this movie I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ish, I just added "Fever Pitch" to my Netflix Q - also saw there is a "Fever Pitch" starring Colin Firth... I added that one to the Q as well. Nice to take a break from all the serious movies I watch. Over the weekend I saw 'Thin Red Line' - I will have to watch that one again after a respite, there was a lot going on in that movie to grasp it all in one viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really liked Thin Red Line. Such a beautiful and sad film. I haven't seen his new one yet...really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Annie! I enjoyed listening to all the songs. Barbra Streisand is my favorite singer and I love Neil Diamond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JUST GIVE ME NEIL.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete