Wednesday, June 8, 2011

1981 - Remembered

A blog friend reminded me with his post today "How To Survive a Plague" that this week marks thirty years since the AIDS virus became known to the medical community. A lot has been done to raise awareness about the disease and sadly small achievements toward seeking a cure that is yet to be found.

I just read, also this week, about Elizabeth Taylor and her work to raise money and awareness for AIDS - really the first Hollywood celebrity to step forward on the AIDS issue so many years ago.
"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance. " ~Elizabeth Taylor
This is a good time to remember there is still a lot of work left to be done.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for noting this, Annie. We've come a long way but it's not gone. Not by a long shot. And Liz was great. I worked with AMFAR for a time but never met her. I always dealt with Mathilde Krim, a great woman in her own right. The rules are still the same: play safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well really a hat tip to ish, for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's getting hard to pick an issue to focus on. There are just too many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I often wonder, if you have just $1,000 to donate, is it better to send it all to one organization or $100 to ten groups?????

    ReplyDelete