Friday, May 6, 2011

Missouri State Capitol - Jefferson City, MO

The State Capitol
On a Day in May

This past Wednesday I joined twenty other Missouri residents for lunch at the State Capitol, all of us recipients of Lt. Gov. Kinder's Senior Service Award for this past year. Twice a year recipients are chosen from each of the ten areas within the state. This award is intended to promote and highlight the accomplishments of Missouri Senior Citizens.

"There are thousands of Missourians whose lives are touched by the unselfish work and caring hands of volunteering seniors. These acts of kindness go on unnoticed all around us every day. These seniors offer their time and labor back to the community, and I want to bring these stories to the public, so we can all thank them for their work."
~ Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder
House Lounge, State Capitol, Jefferson City, Mo.
I receive a congratulatory handshake from Lt. Gov. Kinder
Pictured with my daughter on the right


Lt. Governor Kinder to Honor Senior Service Award Recipients

JEFFERSON CITY – Lt. Governor Peter Kinder will honor the recipients of the Lieutenant Governor’s Senior Service Award during a ceremony at the state capitol on May 4.  The Lieutenant Governor's Senior Service Award was created in 2005 to the positive accomplishments Missouri's senior citizens provide their local communities.  Recipients must be at least 60 years of age and volunteer a minimum of 40 hours per year.

Ten regions that make up the award areas

The Senior Service Award winners are nominated by persons in their community. Twice a year, winners are chosen in 10 different areas of the state based on the Area Agencies on Aging regions. More than 200 Missouri seniors have been honored with the award since its creation in 2005.


It was quite an honor to be one of the recipients of this award, but we represent just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to senior citizen service. I see it every time I am at Wings of Hope, where we are almost totally staffed by volunteers from the senior citizens ranks.

In addition to a nice lunch and warm words from Lt. Gov. Kinder, I had a nice tour of some of the offices and also got to walk on the floor of both the House and Senate where the people's work is done. I had a chance to meet a lot representatives and even a lobbyist. It was a fun day and absolutely perfect weather-wise.



13 comments:

  1. Congratulations Annie on a job well done and on the well-deserved recognition!
    Also, a VERY BIG thank you for all that you do.
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Mare - thank you so much as well for all you do. We all have those things we do big and small that are a part if the circle of caring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, Annie. I'm glad it went well. But did you give the representatives and the lobbyist a piece of your mind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO GRAND,

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, no I was kind. Actually I love my representative even though he is a Republican. He listens and isn't arrogant and I find that very likeable. I hope I don't lose him in the new redistricting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A "grand" comment from a granny. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, ish, you know I really am a background type of person. It is nice to be acknowledged, but as I said, OK, it's all over now let's get back to work. lol

    My daughter said I did a good job of lobbying for Wings of Hope that day. Funny, I dislike (most) lobbyists but I did meet one that day lobbied for firemen and police and that I think is good... as is Wings of Hope... so not all lobbyists are bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FINALLY!! A head-to-toe photo of our Artichoke Annie!! It's so good to be able to put your picture with all of your words! And huge congrats on the award! What an honor! Thank you for doing what you do. You are appreciated by more than me, I just know. Now get to work! LOL

    Hugs,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. ‎"Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can.
    In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can.
    As long as ever you can." -- John Wesley (1703-1791) Church of England cleric,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Katie - hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous - very good words indeed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I FORGOT TO SIGN GRANNY TO THOSE WORDS.I'VE ALWAYS LIVED BY THEM

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete