Saturday, May 28, 2011

Holiday Weekend Fun

When you are out and about this weekend trying to enjoy a nice little three day holiday and find yourself grumbling about near $4 per gallon gasoline prices, consider the above prices. These are all items you use or have used at least a few times but probably never thought of their cost in per gallon terms.
Maybe you will want to cancel plans for this weekend's BBQ when you find that your favorite coke brand is as costly as gas. Or maybe you will decide sandals are out this summer and keep the tennies on are forgo the $1,024 per gallon price of nail polish.


Do all the people enjoying the lattes at their favorite coffeehouse have any idea they pay $32 a gallon for that enjoyable beverage? I bet there are one or two that actually do consume a gallon of coffee a day -  probably the same ones that drive those big gas guzzler cars.

So what's that I hear you saying? I only use such a tiny bit of nail polish... or really just a cup or two a month of my favorite latte... or a small glass of OJ each day. Exactly, the price per gallon becomes a factor only when we consume great quantities of  a product. Which is why I keep trying to bring home the point about our gas consumption - LESS IS BETTER. And if it takes gas at $10 or $15 a gallon to get us to rethink our driving habits then so be it.

Happy Holiday Folks.

4 comments:

  1. I love that chart. Being a dyed in the wool cityboy I don't actually drive. But I am amazed that bottled water, and not even just the Fiji kind, is more expensive than gasoline. And people PAY the outrageous prices. My mind boggles some times.

    PS can you imagine the fumes from a gallon of nail polish?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good point. In fact, it's downright sensible. It's hard to cut down on driving when you live in the woods. Everything is far away. But everyone I know is trying to combine trips, rather go out on single errands like they used to. I guess that's the first step on the adjustment ladder. They are, in effect, driving less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. REMEMBER BACK DURING WW2 GAS WAS RATIONED. YOU WERE LUCKY TO HAVE GAS TO GET TO WORK.I COULD WRITE A BOOK ON THIS SUBJECT. WE JUST DON'T NEED SOME THINGS IN LIFE TO LIVE A GOOD LIFE.
    EVERYTHING IS WRAPPED AROUND THE HOLY $$$$$$$$$$$$.


    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Granny, I remember WWII rationing - not only gas - coffee, butter, shoes, meat, rubber... everything went toward the war effort. My parents would forgo shoe purchases so that I could get shoes for my little kid growing feet. Wish I still had some of those ration books around so I could post a pic of them.

    Urban areas without good and efficient public transportation should be working on a solution now. Federal dollars could be spent on these projects, it would put people to work and would help to jump start the economy. Dollars would be better spent here then bailing out the Wall Street crooks who continue to live their opulent lifestyles and hold down their jobs in the Federal Government.

    ReplyDelete