Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It's Only Money, Right?






When was the last time you had a Billion Bucks to spend? That's right $1,000,000,000. Well, what about $49,057,000,000 - that's what the United States spent in 2008 alone in aid to foreign countries.

I was trying to wrap my head around just how much money this is, some numbers get so big they have no meaning to us common people. But here are a few things you could buy if you had just one measly billion bucks to spend:

You could buy 1,000 Maybach Landaulets. Don't know what that is? Ask Rush Limbaugh he owns six of their cheaper model car, the Maybach 57 S, I guess he has one for each day of the week and on the seventh day he walks.

So you're not into cars, how about luxury hotels. There is a nice one in Dubai where you can stay for $20,000 - $30,000 a night. Just think for a billion dollars you could spend every night in one for the next 137 years.

Or maybe having your own jet is your cup of tea, not to worry the Gulfstream G550 is nice at a mere $40 million - you could buy one for yourself and 24 of your closest friends.

So you get the idea $1,000,000,000 is a lot of money and $50,000,000,000 is even more...

The top eight countries that garnered more that half of the $49,057,000,000 spent in foreign aid in 2008 were:

Afghanistan - $8,892,000,000
Iraq - $7,452,000,000
Israel - $2,425,000,000
Eqypt - $1,492,000,000
Russia - $1,261,000,000
Sudan - $1,196,000,000
Tanzania - $1,061,000,000
Ethiopia - $1,009,000,000

Oh, and Pakistan makes the list in 9th place with $963,000,000, not quite making the billionaire list.

Looking over the list I would say these countries aren't exactly our BFF's. I can't help but think if this world wasn't so hell bent on destruction and greed we could achieve some really great things. Heck universal healthcare and quality education for our kids would just be drops in the bucket. Maybe we could find a cure for cancer, AIDS.... explore this galaxy and beyond...........the possibilities are endless.

As Homer Simpson once said, "Well, if you wanted people to love you, you sure blew it with that insane rampage. But, you know what? To be loved, you have to be nice to people, every day, but to be hated; you don't have to do squat!" 

9 comments:

  1. Yikes I wish you weren't so good at math. That's depressing. On the other hand, if you'd like to lend me a billion dollars I'll gladly let you stay in my Dubai suite for a weekend or two!

    Nice work Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ish, only if you PROMISE we will still be FRIENDS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happens in Dubai stays in Dubai. You know that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHH!!!! I have a headache now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Mare, I think I know where I could get you a couple of aspirins for around $50,000...

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! If that's all it'll cost, get me a whole bottle please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh...my squiggly word was "cospinds" (the act of you and me spending a bunch of money together!! hee hee!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No levity here. I think it's outrageous that we humans mismanage everything to the Nth degree. How can we let people go uneducated and without medical care in our country? I don't recognize this place any more. And as you point out, there's plenty of money to go around. But that's just it: these guys don't want one dollar to "go around". They have to own it all. Pigs. That's all they are.

    ReplyDelete