Saturday, May 14, 2011

Miss Morality is Gone


Bill Withers performs Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone

I wanted to write about Morality and the Law and as I always do before a post I poke around and do a little research, usually enough that will satisfy me. That's all I need since this is not the College Town Debaters Society. I give the whole of society a great deal of credit for knowing what is right and what is wrong, but believe sometimes I am tested to the very limit in this belief.

I want people to think - not just about what movie to go and see, or what should be jotted done on the shopping list today or even if Jersey Shore would be worth it if it were only a five minute show. No, I want people to think about grand ideas, ideas that affect the world, the nation, the state, even the street where you live. I want all of us to think collectively, discuss and debate our ideas and be an active part.

What I don't what is a state imposed Thought Police that will tell us what is right and wrong, that tells us what we think! That to quote a phrase - A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste.

“A categorical imperative would be one which represented an action as objectively necessary in itself, without reference to any other purpose.” ~ Immanuel Kant


Immanuel Kant gave a lot of thought to morality, I mean his ideas can squeeze all the life out of your brain before you are done. But I didn't want to debate the man, merely look to him for words of wisdom, thoughts perhaps that I could extract to today and to make sense out of what is going on in our world. Growing up I always had different people I could turn to, trust - to provide a moral compass for this mere mortal of a child. The list included parents, teachers, ministers, leaders of our community, the police that protected... Not all these people took their roles seriously because over time each one would stumble and fall before my very eyes. So with that little morsel of background information you can understand why I am not always so keen on looking at what our government does as being the morally correct approach to getting a job done.

Society will rationalize when it is handy to do so. I remember the discussion of "enhanced interrogation techniques" and the need to justify TORTURE as morally correct. Water-boarding was mentioned often and for those of you who have never experienced the sensation of almost drowning, it is like being total shrouded and encased in water, it is hard to convey the feeling of panic that takes over when you sense the loss of precious air to breathe.  I have never been water-boarded but I have experienced near drowning and it's not a pleasant experience. I can't even imagine how it must feel to have this done over and over and over again... 

But I digressed, the point I wanted to make was something I heard on the Sunday Talk News shows where the SEAL training was being talked about. Some one (probably Rumsfeld or Cheney) mentioned how all the SEAL's had to be water-boarded as part of their training.  Was this comment being throw out as a basis for legitimizing water-boarding as a torture technique? 

Maybe we spent too much time watching Jack Bauer and not enough time thinking. Why is it bad when other governments kill, torture and assassinate and when the United States does it it is a good thing? Our CIA has been ordering hits on people that they felt were getting in the way for years, though admittedly until lately it didn't make the nightly news or become a cause celebre


Are we a nation founded on law, order and justice? That old adage 'innocent until proven guilty' - unless the government deems your are guilty beyond any reasonable need for a trial. That must be it. Now, don't get me wrong and scream at me that I am defending a horrible man, a terrorist that killed thousands. What I am talking about is the rule of law. If I believe in it I have to let it apply to everyone, not just those I deem worthy of it.


If we allow the rule of law to be set aside in 'special' cases we may wake up one day and find we have become a special case as well. When there is an imposition of special rules for special cases, we as individuals end up the real losers.


I guess the killing of Bin Laden is what Kant would refer to as a 'categorical imperative'.






6 comments:

  1. Americans are being described abroad as fat, lazy and stupid -- and I have to admit there's a lot of truth to this statement. You know my view, Annie: people who believe in God have no contact with morality. Rules set down in a book have literally nothing to do with alleviating suffering, which is what morality is all about. That's why people can think waterboarding is okay. They are completely out of contact with morality. End belief in god and perhaps people will discover the difference between right and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the kindest people I know are not believers in a God, they lead a kind, good and moral life because that is who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, Writenow, I am sorry you seem to have had such awful experience with people who believe in God (in my case a Christian)....So many of the beliefs I see you and Annie express are exactly what I think...Please please don't lump us all together...
    My heart aches at man's inhumanity to man and what many have "put out there" saying "all of us believe in the same thing because we are called Christians" that is just not true...(and I'm talking about people who use the name of Christ and say everyone who calls themselves Christians are like they are..that's SO not true!)
    I guess this is true of every belief system...there are those that give a bad name to people who believe as they do...and this is true if you are Christian, atheist, Buddhist, Deist, etc.
    Love is love and kind is kind...compassion is compassion.look at the heart and actions...that is where you will see the truth of a person's life.
    *stepping off soapbox* LOL
    Thanks for letting me "speak" Annie!! Not trying to debate or defend...just sayin'
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always welcome to speak up. I find I can learn more from a dissenting view than I can from one that agrees with my POV. In the end it will either change or alter my view or reinforce that one I already have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, Annie.

    How many times have I read "I'm a pacifist and I oppose the death penalty but yeah Bin Laden was evil and deserved what he got." To which my reply — at least in my head — is you don't understand what it means to be a pacifist or to oppose the death penalty. Bin Laden was by all accounts a very evil man; but remember the blindfolded lady with the scales? If we trust in our moral convictions or in that thing called the rule of law than we trust in it to apply justice to mass murderers as well as petty thieves.

    ReplyDelete