Saturday, April 23, 2011

St. Louis - The Aftermath

Photo by Jeff Roberson A/P

Photo by Whitney Curtis - Getty Images

The real story here is how truly small our world has become. I share with you a portion of an email my daughter received today from her friends in Japan.

Subject: Tornado

Dear Linda,
 
We heard that big tornado touched down at the STL airport. Are you all right? Did your family have any injury?
 
....Fortunately, we do not have any problem from the atomic power accident in Tokyo, so far.
 
We hope your family is doing well.
 
Yosuke
 
~ ~ ~
 
Despite all that is still going on in Japan, news of our tornado brings concern for a friend. It brought to mind this song:

He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother

The road is long with many of winding turns
That lead us to who knows where,
who knows where
But I'm strong,
strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is my concern
No burden is he to bear, we'll get there

For I know
he would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

If I'm laden at all,
I am laden with sadness that
everyone's heart isn't filled with the gladness
of Love for one another

It's a long long road
From which there is no return
while we're on our way to there why not share

And the load doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy , he's my brother


He ain't heavy
He's my brother

5 comments:

  1. THAT DAMAGE LOOKS LIKE THE TORNADO DAMAGE FLORIDA RECEIVED WHEN THE CHARLIE HURRICANE CAME THROUGH.IT WAS THE SCARIEST THING I LIVED THROUGH. I DON'T TAKE THESE STORMS LIGHTY.ONLY FOOLS DO. NO PEACHES AND CREAM. MY HEAART GOES OUT TO THESE PEOPLE. THE MIRACLE IS NO ONE IS DEATH.JUST PROVES THERE'S A GOD OUY THERE.SO GLAD YOUR SAFE ANNIE.

    TG GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granny: Only if you believe it was God that brought the disaster in the first place. Sorry, I can't give a god credit for all the good and none of the responsibility for the bad. Hope you understand. I am safe through the luck of the Irish and nothing more. But thank you for the being safe wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's surprising how much damage there was at the airport. It's amazing how we see all these things almost first-hand now that video cameras are everywhere. I'm glad they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary stuff. When I was a kid in Chicago I was terrified of the tornados that used to occasionally sweep through the far suburbs. BUt we even had a small tornado here in Brooklyn two summers ago that uprooted a few trees and smooshed a couple houses.

    Anyway, glad you and yours are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all. Today was a calm weather day, I guess the calm after the storm. We were all chatting at dinner about what it must have been like to be in the control tower at the airport during all this.

    ReplyDelete