Sunday, April 10, 2011

Not Just Another Pretty Chart


Now back when I was a kid we walked; to school, to play, to where ever. If we weren't walking we rode our bikes. And it wasn't just some of the time, it was every day - I mean it was how we got where we wanted to go.
Those of you who are regular readers of this wacky blog know one of my pet peeves is our reliance of oil in our daily lives. So here is a chart which proves my point. I found it on PhysOrg.com in an article titled "US energy use chart shows we waste more than half our energy".

Which brings me to another pet peeve, that of waste and consumption. I may be older than dirt, but not quite old enough to remember the GREAT DEPRESSION, but I do remember World War II and the effects it had upon the everyday lives of most Americans. Everything went toward the war effort. Gasoline was rationed as were tires. We had coupon books issued for daily needs and people learned to make do. No one grumbled, they just pitched in and did their part.

Maybe it was enduring those years that made society go consumption crazy  I don't know. But we seemed to move rather quickly to a completely disposable nation over night. I mean everything from razors to marriages are tossed out when people are done with them.

But we are simply going to have to take a second look at our consumption rates and change some of our habits. "Drill Baby Drill" is not the cure-all anthem to our woes. The article went on to note:

The chart emphasizes the importance of using alternative methods of transportation - walking, biking, public transportation, or anything else that moves more human and less steel. Unfortunately, due to developers building sprawling suburbs to satisfy Americans’ demands of large homes and yards, many people now find themselves miles from the nearest grocery store and have no choice but to drive everywhere. To illustrate how transportation consumption and waste dwarfs residential consumption, a blog post on Treehugger notes that “building suburbs of Energy Star houses with solar panels on top is a complete waste of time.”

Smaller is better and less is more - a new anthem to chant. But it won't come without some pain. Change like exercise will use some muscles we have not used in some time. And there is a whole generation or two out there that thinks legs are only for shaving and dancing. But I know you all can do it, give it a try. And remember "turn out the light when you leave the room" - it will drive your brother/sister crazy.

5 comments:

  1. What drives me crazy is when I order something on the internet and it's delivered from across the country. I'm ashamed each time I realize my order involves a huge waste of energy. The best advice is that we must become local in every way, filling all our needs within a short distance of our homes.

    Can you imagine if there was a real emergency and supply routes were cut off for our drug and grocery stores? We are living on such short leashes and possess, at most, a week's supply of necessities. That we can't buy these things locally is insane. But then, everything is insane now.

    By the way: yay, physorg! I smell a convert. It is THE best site for important science news, and not just in the realm of physics. They even cover psychology and aspects of philosophy. I don't know what I'd do without my daily visit to physorg.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY DAD COULDN'T AFFORD A BIKE FOR ME FOR A LONG LONG TIME. WHEN HE FOUND ONE IT WAS A USED ONE. [BEAT UP BUT A BIKE] MY BROTHER TOOK IT AND MADE A BIKE BUILT FOR TWO. HE HAD ONE HE EARNED BY DELIVERING PAPERS. I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT I WASN'T HAPPY.HE AND HIS BUDDY RODE THAT BIKE TO SCHOOL AROUND A MILE EVERYDAY. I BET HE DOESN'T EVEN REMEMBER IT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first little two wheeler was one my dad made for me out of spare parts. It was very small, he would hold the back of the seat and I would peddle and try to get my balance. We had a long driveway I would peddle down with my dad behind me. Then I remember turning and my dad wasn't there! I had gone the whole way on my own. I was terrified and excited both at once.

    I think my first real and new bike came from Santa but that memory is less vivid then the one of my first little bike.

    But I do remember my dad buying me my first baseball mitt, now that was a day. I would saddle soap it and pound it with my fist to make a nice pocket. I loved that mitt - I would take it to bed with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANNIE, MAYBE THERE'S A LITTLE BOY THAT WAS TRYING TO GET OUT.J/K. I WAS INTO PLAYING SOFTBALL AND DOLLS WHEN I WAS LITTLE ALSO, ICE SKATING.OH YES, HORSES WERE AT THE TOP OF MY LIST OF FUN THINGS TO DO. I REMEMBER GOING TO A DANCE WHEN I WAS TEN. MY BROTHERS FRIEND TOOK ME. IT WAS SO FUNNY TO SEE LITTLE KIDS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DANCE AND ACTING 10.

    TG

    ReplyDelete
  5. TG: Oh I definitely was a Tom Boy no joke about it!!!

    Keith: Yes, you make a point, we are very vulnerable on so many fronts. I hope Americans haven't lost their self-reliance. I had to think how we would have reacted to the hat-trick Japan was dealt. I am sure it is still there somewhere deep down inside, after all it was on this very strength that are nation was built

    ReplyDelete