Sunday, October 4, 2009

MY BFF

I have a friend that I have known forever, so long in fact I have no idea when we first met, and it seems I have always known her. We went all through school together, from kindergarten to high school graduation. If you are a regular reader of my blog, Mollie's name has popped up one time or another. She is the one I would hop on the Red Car with and travel in to Los Angeles to see baseball games. I guess she lived four or five blocks from me, easy enough to walk or ride a bike to get to each other's houses on a regular basis.

What we did best I think is play. We played at sports in the park or on our make shift sports complex at the vacant corner lot. We played at climbing trees and digging holes in the hope we could reach China. We played at adventure, jumping on our bikes and exploring the environs of the city in which we lived. I remember one time we had this great plan to build a car, probably more a Go-Kart powered by a lawn mower engine. I don't know if we ever completed that project but Mollie would, she never forgets anything. And she is the kind of friend that doesn't talk about the stuff you wish she would not remember.

Distance and time separated us; Mollie left our home town after high school to go to college in Texas and I pretty much became a mom a year after high school. But the friendship prevailed and Mollie always checked in with my parents from time to time over the years. Mollie's passion to this day is volleyball. She has coached some of volleyball's finest and you would need the Los Angeles Coliseum if you were to gather together all of the kids she has mentored over the years. Misty May even brought her Olympic gold medals for Mollie to see. One day when I was surfing the Internet I found Mollie's name associated with a system used in volleyball call the "Ruby" named after one of her short and scrappy former high school players.

One of the best things about the Internet for me is that it has connected me with Mollie again. Even though hundreds of miles separate us, we are just as close as ever when those emails we send to each other wing their way through the cosmos. She is still a supporter and encourages me with my blog. A tip of the cap to you my friend, my BFF, it's nice to have you there.

1 comment:

  1. ANNIE, I TOO HAVE RECONNECTED TO A BBF. I'M LUCKY BECAUSE SHE ONLY LIVES ABOUT ONE AND A HALF HOURS JUST NORTH OF US. SHE LIVED DOWN THE STREET BUT ACROSS THE STREET. I HADN'T SEEN HER IN YEARS THEN I FOUND OUT HER AND THE HUBBY MOVE HERE TO FLORIDA A FEW YEARS AGO. NOTHING LIKE A BEST FRIEND FOREVER. I'M LUCKY I HAVE MANY. TG

    ReplyDelete