Thursday, October 15, 2009

I Love Lucy

What were you doing on October 15, 1951?
I was a month into my freshman year in high school and television was almost as new to all of America as I was to high school. If my memory serves me correctly, and it can be a bit foggy on occasion, I think my family got their first TV around 1948/49. There wasn't a lot on in those early years and not every household even had a TV; often my family's living room served as a neighborhood gathering of kids to watch Space Patrol or Time for Beanie.

But it didn't take long for the television airwaves to be filled with shows to delight the entire family. One of the best was the I Love Lucy show which made its debut on October 15, 1951. The odds that I was sitting in front of the television that particular night are pretty good. It was a love affair that lasted for years and years. The I Love Lucy show was nominated for an Emmy Award twenty-three times and won the award five times. In all the show received more than two hundred awards during its run. In fact the show is still shown in syndication today worldwide. And you still can get a genuine good laugh at Lucille's antics, as much today as you could fifty-eight years ago. Thanks Lucy, we do still love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment