Thursday, September 8, 2011

Returned to Greenfield Status

Images of nature with Greensleeves performed by David Nevue.

Greenfield Status ~

Tuesday night at the debate I heard this statement by the Ameren Missouri representative: "We have twelve reactors (in the US) that have been returned to Greenfield Status."

For a minute I had a 'Calgon take me away moment' where I saw fields of green, dotted with an abundance of white daisies where once there stood a stoney grey nuclear reactor. Birds chirped, the sun sparkled on a pristine clear water lake and children laughed and played...

Then I was quickly jolted back to reality and jotted down a note to follow up on this factoid that had taken me away to Never-land.

The actual definition of Greenfield Status/Green Field is:
  
Greenfield status is a term used to describe an end point wherein a parcel of land that had been in industrial use is, in principle, restored to the conditions existing before the construction of the plant. 

One thing I am learning is that when it comes to nuclear energy the choice of words is very important, you learn to listen very carefully to what is being said. While Ameren is correct when it states that the number of reactors is twelve, I found that even the NRC does not use the term "greenfield" instead their terms are seven reactors with SAFESTOR status and five with DECON status.

Now you have to admit that neither word,  SAFESTOR or DECON, has that same Calgonesque  feel to it.

It's imperative that we check out facts (even mine) and that we learn to listen. Snake oil salesmen are everywhere, only the name has been changed.

7 comments:

  1. I love the Calgon reference but I'm afraid your legions of young readers may feel lost. I know just what you mean, though. And you're right. It's the lipstick-on-a-pig naming system that's taken over our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, but young readers also know they can Goggle 'Calgon' and in matters of seconds can experience a 'take me away' moment first hand, just like the old days of TV. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason this is making me think of 20 Mule Team Borax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doctors in all branches of medicine recommend Camel cigarettes...well, in 1949.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian - how did you find that old modeling stint I did? You are a wonder!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK now I can't tell if you're joking!

    ReplyDelete