Friday, September 16, 2011

All About Vitamin C


I love Google Doodles - this one reminded me of my California home in the late '50's. It would have been the view from my kitchen window, looking across acres of orange groves toward Mt. Baldy. In all fairness this would have been on a 'clear' day not a smoggy day, but I could always see the orange groves, they were my front and back yards.

But Google honors Albert Szent-Györgyi, who would have been 118 today, a Hungarian physiologist who discovered Vitamin C and the components and reactions of the citric acid cycle. He also won the 1937 Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! I hate to admit though that I find the description of where you lived even more exciting than the info on the vitamin C :) lol...I know, I'm obsessed with California and love to hear anything about it...
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mare, I guess you aren't the only one obsessed with California, sadly all those orange groves are long gone now and in their place more roads and more houses.

    I just took all that great California living for granted, it wasn't until I was long gone that I really look back and appreciate how lucky I was to be from there. Really the only bad thing about Southern California is all that darn traffic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin says the same thing about growing up there (Huntington Beach/Anaheim area maybe? shows what I know!) She now lives in WA and wouldn't go back as she says it has changed so much...it must have been amazing..
    mare
    (oh, does an ice cream cake count???)

    ReplyDelete