Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day Approaches

art by milton glaser
 
I love Valentine's Day, I love the color red and hearts and chocolates and everything that is Valentine. For many years I would hold a small intimate dinner party on this special day. Planning for weeks ahead for the big little event. I would come up with a theme and go from there, making up special plate-side menus for the occasion. I would have a single rose on the plates for the ladies and a tiny box of chocolates for the men.

The table was set with my best china and silverware and a crisp white tablecloth. Always my centerpiece flowers would be red and white tulips, ordered well in advance so I would not be disappointed. I had candlelight and soft music, a delicious meal with a scrumptious dessert to top it off - usually something very chocolatey and made from scratch.

I think this love for Valentine's Day goes back to my school days and the fun of exchanging Valentine's with my classmates. It was a big event which started with the construction of the class Valentine Box that sat on the edge of the teacher's desk. We sometimes even made take home containers from shoe boxes and decorated them with red, white and pink construction paper to hold our own treasured greetings. It was fun getting a "mushy" greeting from someone who signed the card as "Guess Who" or "Your Secret Admirer" - free to express your love for someone and not having to reveal your identity.

I still send out Valentine cards on a random basis, not like a xmas card list of folks, I just like it to be a surprise and not a counted on card. If you get a card in your mail box signed "Your Secret Admirer" who knows it could be from me.


It was fun also to make these little cards with bits of colored paper and frilly doilies and little sticker hearts. I hope you find this Valentine's just for you in your blog 'mailbox' and know that a very secret admirer is thinking of you this Valentine's Day.

12 comments:

  1. I have a friend whose name is Viola and her birthday is Valentine's Day. So for us, it's always been Violentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PX, CHECK YOUR MAILBOX. LOL

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day Annie !

    "your secret admirer"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, then... Happy Violentine's Day to Keith's friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Blush"............thank you X, oh and I have some Pepto Bismol at the ready.........lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. GIVE ME LIVER AND ONIONS ANYDAY. PAPER CUPS AND PLASTIC FORKS. I'M HAPPY GOING CHEAP. LOL ALWAY WAS A CHEAP DATE.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just bought a new bottle - I'm ready !

    ReplyDelete
  8. To each his own Granny.... I can't even imagine paper cups and plastic forks on Valentine's Day, it makes me tremble in horror. lol

    Hey, I'm the girl who would pack a picnic dinner with best china and silver and candles for dinner on the beach. What can I say I am a hopeless romantic.

    Oh and there is nothing wrong with liver and onions...just not served on paper plates. That being said I will take my Fish 'n Chips wrapped in the Daily News. rofl

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, ANNIE, JUST HAVING SOME FUN WITH YOU.I NEVER TAKE LIFE TO SERIOUS BECAUSE I JUST FOUND OUT THE GROUND CAN CAVE IN ON YOU. IF I DON'T LAUGH I MAY START TO CRY AND NOT STOP FOR A WEEK. MY LITTLE FRIEND WILL BE GOING THROUGH SSOME REAL SERIOUS TREATMENT THE FIRST WEEK OF MARCH. WE'RE JUST TRYING TO KEEP THE PARENT FROM CAVING IN AT THIS POINT. MY DAUGHTER LOOKS LIKE SHE HAS BEEN BEATEN UP BY ALL THIS STUFF. SHE'S TRYING TO KEEP HER FRIEND FROM BREAKING.WHEN THE LIVER GOES YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. 12 IS TO YOUNG.
    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Valentine's Day to all who roam here. Your table sounds wonderful Annie, and if I am ever in your area on the 14th of February, I hope you will invite me for a sit down dinner. I wish I had thought to do such a thing, but I am afraid Granny and I are on the same wave length...again!
    Will make this short so you can be on your way to meet up with "X"... :)
    XOXO to all
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to see you Mare - for sure you are invited, in fact we can make any day Valentine's Day. I am sure X and I will have a madcap evening. ;)

    ReplyDelete