Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Work In Progress

Sgt. John Guess




 A Soldier's Story ~

November 25, 1918

      A cold wind blew outside; you could hear it whistle through the cracks in the walls. She pulled the shawl tighter around her shoulders it was her only shield protecting her from the awful news. The fire crackled and spit in anger as she poked at it, seemingly mimicking her own raging emotions.

      In her lap lay the telegram that arrived earlier in the day from Adjutant General Harris. She had read the simple twenty-one words over and over and over again. With each reading she prayed the letters would rework themselves and form new words on the page. Words filled with hope that she would once again be able to feel the touch of her first-born child and son.

      But no matter how many times she reread the telegram, the words remained the same, “Deeply regret to inform you that it is officially reported that Sergt John Guess Jr infantry died of septicemia November seventh.”
 
      She closed her eyes and let the tears stream un-blotted down her face, remembering John’s last visit home less than a year ago. . .


~ to be continued...


3 comments:

  1. You've gotten to that dreaded point in the story, I see. How goes the writing (and your reaction to it)? I'm glad to see you working on the book. You're a good writer, Annie. Enjoy the process. Each book only comes along once in your writing life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My reaction was that I held John's fate in my own hands and the longer I didn't tell of his death he would still be alive and coming home. But I had to realize that that's a different story not his. So I am moving on, but I was a long while in that one spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like all feelings, the only way out is through them. Good to hear you've come through to the other side. Plus, I'll bet your mind was working all the while on HOW to say it. You can't write something until its time.

    ReplyDelete