Monday, February 28, 2011

I Have A Short Memory


I have a short memory which is why I forget
anniversaries and past Oscar shows.








First I completely forgot that on February 20, 2009 I started blogging for the first time and a couple of days after my initial blog I wrote the following about the Academy Awards show.

Monday, February 23, 2009

And the Oscar goes to...

... the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences! Wow, what a great show last night. And to think it took a tanking economy to have them get it right. I guess just spending tons of money doesn't necessary guarantee success. I loved the way former recipients honored each individual nominee, instead of just reading from a list. It was a class act. And who knew that Hugh Jackman was so talented, singing and dancing his way through hosting the show like a true professional. The dresses were beautiful and the acceptance speeches didn't drone on and on. Really a very enjoyable evening, I never changed channels once. Now back to real life. 

Monday, February 28, 2011

Just earlier this morning I was grumbling a comment on another blog about how the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences never puts on a good show. Well I guess I know what I'll be having for breakfast this morning.  Apparently I really liked the show two years ago. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

This past movie year I had only see three of the Best Picture Nominees. These days I rarely go to a movie theater, rather I wait until the DVD is available and watch it at home. I did however see Inception in the theater, liked it, but I don't think I left with the idea I had just see the Best Movie of the year. I did see on DVD The Kids Are All Right (which was all right) and Winter's Bone which I raved about at the time. It is a little independent movie that was shot here in Missouri and I was proud of the work done on it.

Back in November of 2010 The King's Speech group was on the Charlie Rose show and after hearing the discussion on the movie I had made up my mind the Colin Firth would get the Oscar and probably the movie would get the nod as well. I still haven't seen the movie yet but it is in my Netflix queue to be seen as soon as it's available.

I want to see Biutiful, foreign language with Javier Bardem. Foreign language films back here are almost impossible to find in a regular local theater and there really are a great number of good foreign films. Unless you speak the language of the film it can be a bit off-putting at first; to read or to watch? - that is the question. I have found that in many of the foreign language films they can actually be sparse on dialog making it quite easy to be caught totally up in the film. Sometimes for me so much so I forget the words at the bottom of the screen.

Let me just get it down in black and white my thoughts about last night's Oscar Show so I can retrace my steps when my memory turns to dust once again. It wasn't the best show, but I didn't turn the channel so I guess that is a plus. I just wish the show would put more emphasis on the 'craft' and less on the 'dress' - I  don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but I really could care less "who you are wearing".

12 comments:

  1. Does this mean you really actually love Sarah and Michelle also? :)

    Congrats on the blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...............my memory's not THAT short. lol

    Thanks for the congrats - time flies when you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't stay focused on the Academy Awards show last night. Flipped the channel at least 10 times. But I haven't seen ANY of the movies up for awards, so that's my own fault. Sure puts a damper on the awards show watching. I prefer a comedic host. It always mystifies me when I see something geared to the very young, like this show was. What about the rest of us? We have more money than they do! LOL

    Nice recap, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katie & Happy Birthday again. Someday we should all get together and have our own 'show' get all dressed up..... but I want to wear Tom Ford. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @Tom Ford! One of the main reasons I don't do cruises is because you have to take dress-up clothes! Cocktail dress smocktail mess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really, what would happen if you didn't take a cocktail dress? Would they throw you over-board? I have never been one of those 'have to' people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But no one mentioned the best thing: the kids at the end. I thought they were great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True, Keith, it's a shame they stuck them in at the tail end. They were cute.

    Oh and my pet peeve the "severe weather" warning band that takes up the bottom third of the TV screen. Now sponsor by some frigging roofing company. It was at times to even see the kids!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! that long, hm? I remember coming to look at your blog from Ross'..I love to follow the links and see who has blogs and who doesn't...not too many I have stayed with besides yours and casey's. A couple have been fun, but just don't have the interest in them I guess.
    I wanted to see the preshow things last night but hubby found some *dumb* gameshow (I like game shows as much as I like movies!!!)
    Had spent the day going to see my granddaughter play basketball out of town so I pretty much just spent the eve in front of the computer...hope you all have a good evening
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  10. That children's choir from Staten Island has been doing some amazing things for a couple years. They're a bit of an internet phenomenon. Their teacher tapes them doing versions of pop songs: some of them miss the mark but when they're good they're really amazing. Here's one of my faves of theirs:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2p5augniQA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well nothing tops seeing the grandkids play sports. Always my most cherished moments. And thanks for being a faithful reader and commenter, Mare, it is appreciated.

    Ish thanks for the link on the kids I will check it out. That had to be an exciting night for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ish, that was pretty. Now when is someone going to put these kids in a good sound studio?

    ReplyDelete