Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Get a Night Job"

Make Visser riding 40' night surf at Jaws Beach, Maui

Twenty-eight year old Australian surfer, Mark Visser,  gets a night job. Like riding monster surf in the daylight isn't exciting enough, now he's doing it in the dark. But when I think about it, maybe I would like that better - not seeing the oncoming doom. You can follows Marks big night surf adventure at www.markvisser.net .

Daylight scenes en route to Jaws (Pe'ahi) Beach, Maui

I've been to Maui many times but never here, or honestly, until watching a promo for Mark Visser's documentary, I had never heard of this spot. There's more information on the beach and how to get to the location on Wikipedia Jaws Beach

My surfing experience was in 1954 on the shoulders of a Waikiki Beach Boy, I think the surf height was two or three inches. I wish I had a picture. But this is how I remember it.



5 comments:

  1. I'm sure that's exactly what you looked like, too. That's so funny. Never surfed myself and I always wanted to. Just didn't come up. As for doing it at night, the water is mysterious enough during the day, thanks. There's critters down there, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WAS BIG IN THE WATER SKING SCENE. I WAS REAL GOOD AT IT TOO. I DIDN'T DO MAUI BUT I DID BODY SURF ATLANTIC OCEAN MANY TIMES. I LOVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE WATER. THE ONE THING I WANTED TO DO IS RIDE A HORSE ON A BEACH OR SWIM WITH ONE. MY NEXT LIFE I'LL PUT IT ON MY BUCKET LIST.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up at the beach and body surfing was something we did a lot of. I water skied a bit, but would never claim to be good at it. Board surfing wasn't a big deal in California growing up, so I missed that big adventure, but my son did it and his son does it today.

    Just a couple of miles down the coast from me they had a horse stable where you could ride horses along the beach, you would have loved it Granny. But of course I have never been on a horse in my life, but that sure would have been the spot to do it. It was between Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach.

    I'm do my Bucket List in THIS life, in the next life I might be a caterpillar a I'm not sure they have that much fun. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. A CATERPILLAR. LAUGHING SO LOUD I PEED MY PANTS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you just made me laugh, Granny. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete