Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Jackie O and Linda R


I just finished reading a Vanity Fair article on Jackie O, Working Girl and it was so funny, some of  Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis comments could have come from my own daughter's mouth. Both are women who find their families of utmost importance in their lives. both are educated and intelligent women and both found the need to resume a career in midlife.

Jackie had this comment in an interview she once gave:
What has been sad for many women of my generation is that they weren't supposed to work if they had families. There they were, with the highest education, and what were they to do when the children were grown - watch the raindrops coming down the window pane? Leave their fine minds unexercised? Of course women should work if they want to. You have to do something you enjoy. That is the definition of happiness: "complete use of one's faculties along the lines leading to excellence in a life affording them scope." It applies to women as well as to men.
They may not have been from the same generation, but they share the same determination that women have brains and drive the same as their male counterparts.
"I remember a taxi driver who said, "Lady, you work and you don't have to?" I said, "Yes." He turned around and said, "I think that's great!" ~ Jacqueline Onassis

 I think it is great as well. You go girl! I am proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment