Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Mother's Doll


Chuckie, is that you?

My mother was born March 10, 1896 in Black Earth, Wisconsin. I'm not sure how old she was when she got this doll, my guess would be around five years old. So that would make the doll about 109 years old. She's in pretty good shape for an old gal who was played with by 
two generations of girls.


I think her scotch tape 'nip and tuck' was added during my years of playing with her. I remember her kid body giving way to slight sawdust leaks when I played with her. She has a chipped little finger but my recollection is that the little chip was always there during her time with me as my doll, so I will chalk that mar up to one of my mother's indiscretions. I have noticed now that there is a little chip by her eye, which I think is fairly new.


Her human hair wig has grown thin and frail over the years. I clearly remember putting her hair up in pin curls when I would play with her and remembering she had a much thicker head of hair then. She has not been played with in years and spends her days and nights wrapped up carefully in tissue paper and packed away in her box.



She has been bequeathed to my namesake granddaughter but not handed over yet. I am letting her experiment with her real life baby before deeming her ready to assume care for this doll.

4 comments:

  1. OH ANNIE, ISN'T IT FUN TO REMEMBER THE GOOD DAYS? THIS DOLL IS PRICELESS.I FEEL THAT WAY ABOUT MY OLD DOLLD. THEY DON'T HAVE ANY CLOTHES BUT I KEEP THEM AND HOPE SOMEDAY THE GRANDDAUGHTERS WILL HAVE THEM FIXED UP. UNTIL THEN THEIR A SLEEP IN A BOX.

    NOW DON'T YOU FEEL BETTERAND LETTING YOU KNOW WHAT GO. YOU MADE MY DAY WITH THESE DOLLS.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely beautiful face! she's in really good shape for that vintage. It must be Doll Day, and if not, it is now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny...I just came across a couple dolls cleaning that I thought I should dispose of...one I probably still will as she is stuffed (and is polyvinyl I would guess) The other (Tammy Sue to be exact) well, even tho she is missing a couple fingers/toes, I just couldn't. The one I am getting rid of is sitting by m back door and wrapped so she won't be "cold" at night (lame, I know!) and hubby
    will have to dispose...I just
    CAN'T!! :(
    This doll has such a sweet face and I'll bet she was loved beyond belief...you are very fortunate to have her.

    ReplyDelete