Thursday, September 2, 2010

Greece Revisted



During the early 1980's I made two visits to Greece, one of my favorite places. I loved the colors and the architecture and became obsessed with the doors, windows and gates I would find around every corner.



These are just a couple examples of the photos I took and found in the many boxes of treasures I have been going through. I'm not one of those precise photographers that carries a little notebook to jot down specifics of each picture taken. Sadly now I know how great it would be to pinpoint the location of these pictures and not just have to label them under the very general and generic title of Greece Early '80's.


While traveling on one of the ferry boats that gets you to the myriad of islands off the Greek coastline I noticed this darling young boy and got a shot of him before he noticed me. It's been thirty years since this picture was taken and he would be all grown up now. I wonder what his adult life has served up for him? Do you suppose he is from Spain as the name Iberia on his t-shirt might suggest? Old photos seems to serve up more questions than they do answers.

5 comments:

  1. ANNIE, WHEN I WAS JUST ABOUT THIS BOYS' AGE I HAD A PENPAL FROM GREECE AND MY MOMS' PENPAL WAS HERE MOTHER. WE WROTE BACK AND FOURTH FOR A LONG TIME UNTIL THEY STARTED ASKING MY MOM TO BRING THEM TO AMERICA. THE LETTER WRITING STOPPED. MOM FELT IT ODD THAT THEY WOULD OUT AND OUT WANT HER TO PAY FOR THEM TO COME TO AMERICA. I STILL HAVE MY LETTERS. I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT MY PENPAL OVER THE YEARS. I'LL NEVER KNOW WAS IT A GOOD THING OR BAD.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being with my Greek friend one day when we went to visit his grandmother. I took a picture of the two of them. His grandmother had tears in her eyes and was chattering away in Greek. I asked what she was saying and he said, she had always dreamed of going to America and now she would be, meaning her photo in my camera would be taking her to America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, how fortunate to get to travel abroad. Did you go with your friend, or is it someone you met in Greece?
    Granny, that is just odd about the penpal...I imagine it does make you wonder.. Maybe she felt she had become friends and could ask such a thing..maybe she thought all Americans were wealthy?? Just some of my own "wondering" about it. Very interesting.
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually it was a man I met on my first trip to Greece, I guess you could say we became pen-pals,
    lol.... well kind of. At any rate it WAS a LONG time ago. But the memories remain. ;)

    ReplyDelete