Tuesday, September 21, 2010

History Lesson Ohio Style


While rummaging through the books on my bookshelves yesterday I came across this little book. It's a bit of a mystery as to why this Ohio Edition would end up with my family whose strong roots were planted in California way before 1927. If you are interested the complete non-Ohio edition can be read on Goggle books at this Google Book Link.  All illustrations can be enlarged for easier viewing and reading by clicking on the image.


I love the first line of the PREFACE which reads: "The pedagogical value of the story has  always been recognized but is now being utilized more fully, perhaps, than ever before." To be honest I had to look up pedagogical; educational, academic, instructional, so who says blogging is a waste of time. Blogging can actually have a pedagogical value to both the author and the reader.

While the book is intended to serve as a guide for teachers in their oral presentations it was also noted that the book may also be read in due time by the child. The word censorship is not used rather it is noted: "A studious effort has been made to simplify and unify these stories by leaving out those details and circumstances that would only distract the child, and to make them vital and vivid by enlarging such details as serve the main purpose."

Here are a couple of illustrations from the book. They are quite nice and very detailed. Imagine all the work that went into getting these produced.


At the back of book in the Ohio Edition is the supplement for this edition. I especially like the note in the PREFACE that read, "It is also strongly urged that a map of Ohio be used in connection with these stories."




There is a story in the supplement entitled The Runaways which tells about the underground railroad that enabled tens of thousands of black slaves to slip through Ohio to Canada and freedom.





Am I the only one who finds it ironic that in 1927 we teach in our schools the trials of the black man and his quest for freedom from slavery and in 2010 some of our schools banned the first black president of the United States from speaking to the students?

2 comments:

  1. fascinating! in grade school, I used to love to sneak a peek at the teachers editions of books, not for the answers, but for the extra credit suggestions, and the teaching techniques like you mention here. It always helped to get more out of the lessons.

    I find that our society, in so many ways, is going backwards not forwards. In some ways, I'm so glad that my parents aren't here to see the hatred and the bigotry that is rearing its head again. In the '60s my Dad sponsored his friend, a black man, in the local Free Mason's group and they wouldn't allow him! My father, who worked for a newspaper, had it blasted all over the shoreline, and the group relented and let them in. Then my dad and Willie quit.

    thanks for these scans, i know how much work it all is! and I hope you feel allright tonight, after all your needles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DITTO WITH WHAT CASEY SAID. IT'S SO HARD TO BELIEVE THE HATRED NOT ONLY HERE IN AMERICA. BUT THE WORLD. I SAY GOOD FOR YOUR DAD AND WILLIE.

    BEDTIME HAS ARRIVED. RUG DRYING I HOPE

    ReplyDelete