Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 8 - Aqaba, Jordan


Travel Stats: 2,185 nautical miles since Barcelona, Spain and 7,641 nautical miles total since leaving Texas.

It is 8:55 am are we are just docking in Aqaba, Jordan. The main attractions here to lure the cruisers off the ship and away from the buffet tables will be the phenomenal snorkeling and diving that is available along the shores of the Red Sea and of course, the trip across land to the Red Rose Desert City of Petra, visited by President Obama not too long ago.

I see an excursion to the Dead Sea is also offered but after watching Ricky Gravis’ “Idiot Abroad” when Karl Pilkington visited the Dead Sea I feel the further away from it I keep is probably the best policy.

Another excursion that is promoted is the trip to Wadi Rum to see the stunning desert landscape and rock formation…I am told it is a “delicate blend of yellow, red and brown hues” – but you will have to use your imagination, Goggle or the Discovery Channel as I am staying onboard today and enjoying the peace and quiet of a mostly cruiser-free ship. Sorry Keith I’ve let you down on this color of the countries experience.

 City of Aqaba, Jordan as taken from our ship in port

Just behind this freighter and just behind the tall buildings
I think that maybe is situated the Aqaba Airport. I hope so
because I see planes coming in for a landing in that direction.

I am currently reading a book on my Kindle, “Married to a Bedouin” by Marguerite van Geldermalsen, which is her story of meeting a young Bedouin man when she was in her twenties traveling in Petra.

His name was Mohammad, a very common Muslim name by the way, she describes him being tall and handsome, and maybe he is looking somewhat like the Bedouins I met on my visit to the Bedouin camp yesterday.

The Bedouins of Petra live in caves, instead of the type of structures built by the Bedouins of Hurghada; both structures however are very effective protection from the intense desert sun and heat.

So today while the cruisers head off to Petra I will be traveling to Petra as I lounge on a deckchair with a drink and book in hand over-looking the city of Aqaba.

Cheers peeps!

Curious on-lookers in small boats taking pics of our cruise ship and visa versa. 


1 comment:

  1. You don't have to apologize to me, Annie. If I was on board, I'd never leave my room. I'd just look out the window and read, then maybe tour the ship at 3 am when everyone was asleep. Mostly, I'd stare at the ocean. And I'd be quite happy, thank you. Enjoy your day off!

    ReplyDelete