Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 10 – Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia


Cruise Stats: Nautical miles since Dubai 3,260 – Total of 13,766 nautical miles since our departure in Galveston, Texas. We are now cruising the Malacca Straits, next stop is Kuala Lumpur tomorrow… Saturday we arrive at our final destination, Singapore.

Temple of Ten Thousand Buddhas

It was a short but busy day today. We arrived in Georgetown at noon today, by 1:15 pm I was on a tour bus heading out of the city and up the mountain to visit the Kek Lok Si Temple, largest Chinese Buddhist Temple in Malaysia.

 The Happy Buddha


Believe me taking on the Temple of the Ten Thousand Buddhas is not for the faint of heart. I am not sure if my thigh muscles will ever forgive me for taking on the 100+ steps leading up to the top. The journey was well worth it as the view was breath taking.

On our way back to the ship we made a stop at Penang New World Park, which is Penang’s famous Hawker Fare – another was of saying “food court” with a vast array of local Penang food. This was not a hot dog and taco stand establishment.

Hawker's Fare

Penang New World Park

Penang is an interesting place and worthy of more than a brief visit. The skyline as we approached the port of Georgetown took me by surprise with its many high-rise buildings with the lush Malaysian landscape backdrop










2 comments:

  1. Still sounds lovely. You didn't mention if you ate any of the food. I think it would be fun to not only visit, but taste, new countries. And it's sad to hear you use words like "last stop". Can your idyllic voyage really be on its last legs? How cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not try the food as I was told many of the dishes are made with prawn sauce. Since I am allergic to shrimp I thought it best to avoid anything where there might be a misunderstanding. But it did look good and smelled terrific.

    ReplyDelete