Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Finds Whilst Digging Through Keepsakes

Christmas Card from 1933

I was digging through a box of keepsakes, just poking around and looking for nothing in particular. I came across this Christmas card that had been mailed to my grandmother in 1933. What struck me was the unusual use of these pastel colors for the traditionally brighter red and green season. The card is printed on heavy card stock and almost looks as though the colors were later added by hand.

The only way I could determine this in my non-professional manner would be to wet my finger and draw it across the figure to see if the color would streak. A technique I used to see if letters I received from "important" people were actually signed by them and not printed. Silly I know for anyone could have signed the letter.


1934 -  Frank X. Enderle, Inc. Ltd.

This picture covered the inside page which read:

We keenly enjoy this opportunity,
as business friends, of 
extending to you our best wishes
for a Merry Christmas and 
a prosperous New Year.

Frank X. Enderle, Inc. Ltd.

Below the greeting was stapled a small  1 1/2" x 2 1/2" monthly calendar for the year.


1935 -  Frank X. Enderle, Inc. Ltd.

In 1935 the greeting read:
Season's Greetings

To our old friends we express our gratitude
for their loyalty.
To our new friends we convey our appreciation
for their confidence.
To those we hope yet to serve we send thanks
for their many courtesies.
To all we wish a Happy New Year.

Frank X. Enderle, Inc. Ltd.

7 comments:

  1. what beautiful artwork! I agree that the lighter colors were not normally used during the Christmas season, but what better way to illustrate the quiet and peacefulness of a new, holiday snow? I like the styling of the interiors also. The way children were portrayed then is SO different from today's brats, I mean children, are portrayed.

    If you have a magnifying glass you can use it to check for tell-tale publishing details Anything that is printed, even a soft watercolor like this card, will have to have 'dots' for the ink to hold. Even continuous tone photographs to be printed on a printing press have to have a dot. The size of the dots depends on the era published and/or the cost of the publishing. Magazines have a much finer dot than newspapers for example, and high-end books might have even tinier dots.

    This way you don't have to worry about damaging your beautiful old items! I have an entry to post one of these days. It's a letter written on WIndsor Castle notepaper, seemingly hand-written. It was from the King of England at the time, to American soldiers thanking them for their service in World War 1. It's pretty obvious that he wouldn't do that for the millions of soldiers that fought, but it was REALLY finely published, Even with a loop, a small magnifying glass used in publishing, it was almost impossible to see the dots. The stationery was real also. They wouldn't do that today!

    Keep the old stuff coming Annie! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Casey. You are a wealth of information. I'm moving in next door to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANNIE,DID YOU SEE THE PICTURES CASEY PUT ON HIS BLOG. SO FUNNY AND I'M GOING TO GET MY KIDS TO DOWNLOAD THEM SO I CAN FRAME THEM. IT MADE MY DAY. HE IS SUCH A REAL JOY.
    GRANNY LOU

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did see those and it made me smile. You are looking good kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...peeking in very tentatively..
    ...raising a finger to grab Annie's attention...
    "Um, excuse me Annie. Would you mind terribly if I started following your blog and commenting on it?" I didn't want to just barge in and start spouting off! I think Tampa Granny Lou may agree to vouch for me, but you've seen my postings yourself, Annie, and my have an opinion of me that isn't quite flattering. EEK
    If you could just let me know if I'm welcome here, I'd be greatly relieved. I like your blog! Casey's too! What's the down low on this? (please)
    Katie in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANNIE FORGOT TO SAY, THE PICTURE OF THAT LITTLE GIRL REMINDS ME HOW I LOVE NATURE EVEN AS A CHILD. IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME.I LOVE ALL THOSE OLD CARDS ETC. THE REAL DEAL. THE WAY IT SHOULD BE IN THIS WORLD. FULL OF LOVE.
    GRANNY LOU

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie In NJ: Of course you are welcomed here and to comment as well. It's pretty much this and that, whatever strikes me at the moment. Sometimes something "out there" angers me and I spout off, but I try to keep it in control and to a minimum. Mostly I think of this blog as a journal for my grand-kids, I know they read it every now and again, but with the cosmos protection these scratchings I leave today will remain long after I am gone. Yes, Casey is a rare jewel and I will forever be grateful to Tampa Granny for bringing me to him. Nice to have you here.

    ReplyDelete