Friday, April 10, 2009

Going Home Again - Covina 1959-1961

Ashton Drive, Covina
Well my bags are all unpacked once again and here I am back in Covina. Of course that is not my truck in the driveway, but the home looks pretty much the same as when I lived there. It was my first own home and I was a lucky young girl.
This house had been the model home for the development and came complete with wallpaper in all the bedrooms and those all important window coverings. It was the perfect size with three bedrooms and two baths. I remember that one bedroom was decorated for a little girl, all cute with pink accents. Susan was just two and moving into her big-girl bed when we moved in and she was delighted with such a nice room. Mark had a cheery room for his crib all bathed in nice sunshine shades of yellow.
The living room looked out onto the backyard and the kitchen formed an L-shape into a dining area and an additional smaller sitting area. The washer and dryer were hidden in the kitchen area behind two folding shuttered doors.
The best part was the view. The home was surrounded on two sides by orange groves and from my kitchen window I had a perfect view of Mt. Baldy. Well, I should amend that just slightly to say on smog-less days I had a perfect view.
In checking out Google Earth for a picture of the Ashton Drive home I noticed now that all the orange groves have been replaced with more development and Badillo Avenue, which was the street we were on the corner of, has now been realigned somewhat. But is sure is nice to see the old house still standing and looking so good after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment