Saturday, October 22, 2011

Bullying in Advertising

On October 20th GLAAD Spirit day was celebrated by wearing purple to show your support to stand up to bullying. Good for GLAAD.org to get the nation as a whole to recognize the need to bring an end to bullying.

I have been noticing a trend in television advertising that has been going on for some time now that to me is an example of a form of bullying as well. Verbal bullying involves speaking to a person or about a person in an unkind or hurtful way, example can include sarcasm, teasing and put-downs to just name a few. Below are a few examples of televisions advertising that I think does just that.

If we are concerned about stopping bullying all together, we should take action to let these advertisers know bullying oriented ads are not welcomed. Certainly young minds watching these types of commercials cannot help but think that teasing and put-downs are OK acts of social behavior.

I find it a big amazing as well that in almost all cases it is the male that is being made out to be the fool. Certainly if the roles were reversed there would be an out cry of opposition and screams of sexist advertising. Maybe it is time that you men out there make your voices heard. It bothers me to watch this and if I were a man watching this I would be outraged.



Say NO to AT&T


Say NO to Jack Link's Jerky

Say NO to Jack Link's Jerky

Say NO to Geiko


3 comments:

  1. It's like the stuff that's in what people call "comedies" and I call "stupid-people movies". You know: stupid-is-good movies. I can't say I"m offended by it, but then I don't identify with any of these jerks. Perhaps most American men do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comedy or just stupid-people, for me it makes men appear stupid. But not to worry I'm not taking this on as a cause, I have enough, more important projects going. It's just a passing observation...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well annie, it's a good passing observation! I HATE (yes, I said it) that top commercial!!! HATE IT! We don't have tv anymore, but do see some things online...and this is one of the things I've seen...
    We have considered getting a television again, but when I see these things I rethink...
    Good post...thanks
    Mare

    ReplyDelete