Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Remember Reddy Kilowatt?

Hi My Name is Reddy Kilowatt...

Reddy came on the scene back in 1937, just a year before I was born, he was the cute little spokesperson for the electric utilities industry.

You would see him everywhere, on the inserts in our monthly utility bills reminding us to always be careful of downed electrical wires and not to climb up those enticing high voltage power line towers.

He would show up at our schools and even special events, always there to remind us of the wonders of electricity and to promote its use.Then in the 1960's the dimmer switch was discovered and a shift began toward conservation rather than consumption.

But before Reddy Kilowatt was totally phased out he underwent some hip new changes. He was on hand to help explain a new energy source that was beginning to emerge on the scene.


Still our same old friendly Reddy Kilowatt but with the addition of a superhero's cape and... are those gloves... some kind of special safety gloves that Reddy has on? Hmmm...


Wow - FUSION - sounds simple enough for even a kid to understand.


But that was then, simpler times, simpler solutions and probably a whole lot of not knowing all the facts.





Which brings me to question Reddy Kilowatt and some of his career choices to bring news of the "wonder-world of electricity" to us. Nuclear energy isn't really child's play and the safety issue of spent fuel storage on a long-term permanent basis really can't be solved with crayons and a coloring book.

I think the time has come for a new super hero to enter the scene and start explaining the real facts of nuclear energy to us.


 

5 comments:

  1. You're 100% right -- and that was a fresh way of putting it. I've never heard of Reddy Kilowatt, but the naivete of the times sounds familiar. We were babes in the wood back then. Since those days, we haven't wised up much about the mounting problem of nuclear waste. It truly is a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wish I could find that magic word that would connect with people. I've been told scare them with photos of mutant kids... I've tried putting out the facts.......... hoping the human brain would engage. Should I take my message instead to the Planet of the Apes? Somehow I get the feeling they would understand...Dr. Zira, can you hear me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm old enough to remember Reddy (barely). Remember how nuclear power was "sold"? "Safe, clean, and affordable - nearly free!"

    Sadly, none of those things turned out to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Markkeating. Hope you will come by again and let me know your thoughts.

    There is much work to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the Reddy Kilowatt coloring book! My dad was a contractor then, and brought some home for me. There was a big push in the 60's to switch from gas appliances to electric. Reddy broke a wooden match over his knee, and said "There's no match for flameless electric." When FPL built the Turkey Point nuclear power plant, the atomic propaganda started. That was very confusing because I also heard of neighbors building bomb shelters.

    ReplyDelete