Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ernest Hemingway - Fifty Years Have Past

Ernest Hemingway
Born July 21, 1899 - Died July 2, 1961

There is a part of me that could have fallen madly in love with this man - that part of me which occupies twenty-four hours of my day. It's wonderful when great people leave behind a bit of themselves after they have gone. Here are some funny and great things this man had to say outside of the pages of his books:

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~
"All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time."
 ~
"I know war as few other men now living know it, and nothing to me is more revolting. I have long advocated its complete abolition, as its very destructiveness on both friend and foe has rendered it useless as a method of settling international disputes.
~

For more information see Nobel Prize Organization's  Ernest Hemingway Biography

For Whom the Bell Tolls

by John Donne


No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee. 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Although I like Hemingway iconography, the image of the man, I was never able to read a word he wrote. I tried a few times but I wasn't interested in what he had to say. Perhaps it was too far off my beaten path.

    ReplyDelete