Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Mom

Adeline Anna Schanel
March 10, 1896 - June 4, 1968

My mom would be celebrating her 115th birthday today, though she died forty-three years ago, at what I like to think a young age, seventy-two. It's funny when you have a parent die at what-ever age you kind of make a mental note of it for yourself. Until I passed that mark I often would think of my own death in terms of the years that my mom had lived.

My mother was an unusual woman for her time. She did go to college and she and her father were in business together. He was a mortician, funeral director I guess is a more common name now. Though grandpa was a fully licensed mortician and my mother assisted with hair and make-up and other funeral arrangements.

As a child I would often accompany my mom to work. During a funeral I would take a seat on the bench next to the organist and watch the proceeding through the privacy screen. When no one was around I would get to play the organ which for me was a real treat. I suppose growing up attending funerals is a strange childhood, but it was mine and no doubt part of the reason why I detest funerals to this day.

But my mother was a great business woman and dabbled in real estate as well over the years. By dabble, I mean she would buy property that became available and always had a keen sense on what was a good deal. She had no faith in the stock market and always felt with real estate even if everything failed you would still have dirt. I suppose she was right.

I was thirty when my mom died and I feel I never really got to know her adult to adult. And I know, while I learned a lot from observation, there was so much more she could have taught me about business if we had the chance. Most of my years with her was as a rebellious youth, driving her I'm afraid to an early grave.

El Monte Union High School - Junior Year 1913

Here is a photo from my mom's high school year book, this was her junior year. She is the girl sitting in the front row right below the nine.The year book made note of the fact "Though our class is the smallest in the school, it is not one to be lightly esteemed". I wonder who the character is striking the pose on the ground, with his pant legs rolled up? Wouldn't it be fun to know what he ended up doing.

A poem written by mom and included in the year book.

So as a little birthday present mom, from me to you, I included your little poem on my blog. Certainly it is an event you would have never imagined in your wildest dreams. It's funny when you look at old pictures how 'glum' everyone is in their poses, you start to get suspicious of the ones that smile.


I'm not sure of the date of this picture of my mom, I am guessing it might have been taken in her college days. I used another of the high school year books as the back drop for this photo.When I read through her year book it is funny to see so many names that cropped up many years later in my own school days. When I was in high school one of her classmates was the superintendent of my high school district and another was the band leader. Both of my older brothers went to the same high school as my mom and I would have also except for the fact they built a new high school in the district a few years before I hit high school age.

Looking back on it, I liked growing up in a rather small town, but that will be fodder for another blog. Today it's mom's birthday, so - "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM".

[All images can be enlarged for easier viewing by clicking on them.]


11 comments:

  1. Very nice Annie, and happy birthday "Annie's Mom" As usual, I am taken with the (what in our would be considered where I come from ) wealth shown in the pictures. There were no colleges around for a VERY long way and one was supposed to get out of school and get married. How interesting that your mom not only graduated high school, but also went on to college, was a business woman and business woman. You have a wonderful legacy, and one that appreciate you sharing with us.
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, now I know where you got your talent for writing...from your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Annie, Just glanced over what I posted last night !! No drinking involved, BUT I had taken tylenol P.M.!!! Not a good idea. Hope you can decipher what i MEANT, not what I SAID! Have a great day. We have SUN here...hoping for melting snow.
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was interesting, Annie, though I can't imagine what it was like to grow up in that setting. On the other hand, I know exactly what you mean by marking the age of a parent who dies, and thinking you'll die at that age, too. And when you finally pass that age by, you see the threat was only an illusion. So happy birthday to your mom. And Annie -- try to live forever, okay? We'd miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mare, Camille & Keith all your comments are always appreciated, understandable or not (rofl).

    Yes, Keith it is funny how we mark time... Not too worry, just be careful...I might be that caterpillar on the leaf outside your window....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am anxiously waiting for the "next installment" I know you lived in Hawaii (or think you did)...did your parents move there while you away at school...did you marry and move there??? You have gotten the imagination going and i feel as though I am awaiting the next chapter...
    You're doing a great job with this "series" and I am interested to hear more...
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mare - did you ever read my "going home again" series. I did those the first year I started my blog and each Friday would do a post on where I lived starting from my childhood home until where I am now.

    My parents moved to Hawaii in 1964. They lived in Kona on the Big Island, Hawaii. I lived in Hawaii only from 1987-90, on the North Shore of Oahu. I didn't move there for any special reason other than my gypsy blood...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I had gone through almost all of your posts...wonder if I missed this somehow...will go back and check..Thanks!
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your wonderful mom with us. She seemed quite ambitious for that time. I will definitely go by your childhood house and let you know when I do!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Grandma! I miss you!!

    Love,

    Grandson Mark

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice that you remember her, Mark. She always loved her grand-kids.

    ReplyDelete