Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Massive Undertaking

Still scene from recent version of True Grit

Still scene from in front of my Grandfather's business

My great-grandfather was a cabinet maker as was his son, my grandfather. So it was in the small town of Spencer, Iowa that my grandfather ran his Furniture and Undertaking business. It was not unusual to find ‘Furniture and Undertakers’ as a business under a single roof. Cabinetmakers would often use their craft to make coffins as well as furniture and in the 1800’s most funeral services were held either in the local church or at home.

The True Grit town scene also has a store very similar to my grandfather's where you will see "Furniture and Undertakers" on the store front. The funeral director's business did not emerge until after the Civil War when the embalming process became more widely accepted by the general population.  Prior to burial the deceased were often laid out in the parlor of their home for viewing and final respects. This is the origin of the term funeral parlor.

That is my grandfather, in the photo above, standing in front of the door and one of the little girls could possibly be my mother, though I can't be sure, but it is a good guess. I know that during the 1910 census that the family was in Spencer, Iowa and ten years later they would show up in California on the 1920 census. So I am not sure of the exact year they made the move west but my best guess is around 1912.

Residence and Funeral Home in El Monte, California

As mechanization began to change the furniture business many people involved in the dual business of "Furniture and Undertaking" felt the pressure to move to solely a funeral directing business. And it was probably around that same time the occupation name would change from undertaker to funeral director.

With the move to California my grandfather bought an existing business and that business would carry on through/and with his daughter for years, until selling out to a large mortuary chain in the 1950's. The above photo shows not only the business but the California home of my mother. Later the business was relocated in another part of the city and this house was sold and moved. After it was moved it became a saloon and the story was that the upstairs served as a house of ill-repute. I wonder if the customers knew the history of the place?

My grandfather was a very sweet man and I remember him well. We would always tease him about being "Digger O'Dell, the friendly undertaker", but he would take the teasing very good-naturedly. In fact my mother had her own story from her childhood. It seems one evening Gramps had fallen asleep in his chair and while he slept my mother every so carefully braided his hair in a 'million' little braids. Well, a call came from a bereaved family and Gramps jumped up, put on his hat and hurried out the door... I suppose you can draw up your own mental image for the end of the story.

So, Mare, this is the long answer to your question as to how my grandmother managed to look "so well taken care of" - was it what you expected?


9 comments:

  1. It never occurred to me that this is the origin of funeral "parlor". Even knowing all the pieces, my brain didn't put it together. Interesting. To me, it seems odd to have a non-immigrant family. I don't think I've ever met someone whose family came from here. You're my first, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But my GREAT-grandfather was an immigrant and his wife, both were born in Bohemia, all of their children were born here. I always told my mom she came from gypsy stock. When you see her picture (tomorrow) anniversary of her birth, you will see gypsy in her eyes.

    Now on my father's side of the family it is a different story, we have yet been able to trace that side to Europe and have records of them living in the South Carolina and Tennessee areas. It's a challenge, they had to come from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, SO much better than what I imagined. VERY cool, and I see where the "look of money" came from. My family has roots in Iowa as well and our best friend in our years raising our family was the funeral director. Our daughter, in fact, would go roller skate through the casket room as there were ramps and space to "roll".
    My grandfather was the "gravedigger" to your grandfather's preparations. I always marvel at the people who were "brave" enough and had the foresight to see where they needed to go to get ahead or make it in a business. My family roots are mostly of farmers in the midwest who just couldn't make it and I imagine didn't have the finanaces to move on to anything else.
    Thanks for sharing
    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie-very interesting. Thank you so much for sharing this story and the wonderful pictures. You and Mare have the best pictures. They are even more interesting to me because I live so close to your 'California stories'! I looked and looked at the picture in this one from El Monte and just wondered how many times in the past did I drive past this exact location. Do you know the street that the house was on? I live about 15-20 minutes away..., small world, right?!
    Have a great day,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, Beth, you mean to tell me you don't live close to where my pics are taken!! HA! I think I wish I lived where you do...at least would like to visit it sometime! I find it all so interesting.
    mare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth - the old house was in El Monte on Main Street, which may have become Valley Blvd. So much has changed in that area, anyway when it was moved and became home for a saloon plus extras it was on Garvey Blvd. somewhere, that was in the late 40' or early 50's.

    What is still standing and looking very much the same is the home I grew up in which is a stone's throw from you. Pictures are show in my Going Home Again series http://helloartichokeannie.blogspot.com/2009/03/going-home-again.html The house is located in Rosemead on Rio Hondo Avenue on the S/E corner of Steele St.

    If you ever decide to drive by the place make a stop at the old pioneer cemetery, Savannah Memorial Park,in Rosemead on Valley Blvd. and bounded on the north side by Mission Ave. The family name is Guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos. A real life "Six Feet Under."

    Back in high school I went on a week's class trip to Europe. One night we had a fancy dinner and had to dress up. This one girl went around offering to tie all the boys' ties: she was expert in tying other peoples' ties because she grew up in a family undertaking business and had lots of practice dressing people up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ish, that's a funny story. Yes, Six Feet Under, I forgot about that, that would have made a good title.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you can imagine, I find this a fascinating story! I love the photos as well. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete