Sunday, May 10, 2009

Time to re-set your postage meter

First class U.S. Postage will increase to 44 cents on Monday, May 11th. Sources say this two-cent increase will only cost the average person $3.00 a year. I guess that's about 150 letters a year or 12 ½ per month. I'm pretty sure I fall way below the national average on this. Most of the time my mailings consist of birthday cards, and heck I don't even know that many people. But while I was poking around on this subject I found this website for junior philatelists that I found really interesting. I am going back and take the time to read the entire site. I wonder if kids still get interested in collecting stamps anymore. Here are a few facts from the web site:

A few Facts

  • United States adhesive postage stamps were first issued under an act of March 3, 1847 and placed on sale at New York, N.Y., July 1, 1847.
  • Books of stamps were first issued April 16, 1900
  • Coils of stamps were first issued February 18, 1908.
  • Postal cards were first issued May 1, 1873, under an act of June 8, 1872.
  • Airmail postal cards were first issued January 10, 1949.
  • Stamped envelopes were first issued in June 1853 under an act of August 31, 1852
  • Printed stamped envelopes were first issued in the spring of 1865.
  • Newspaper wrappers were first issued in October 1861 under an act of February 27, 1861.
  • Giori presses were first used in printing American Flag stamp issued July 4, 1957.
  • Pre-canceled postal cards were first issued November 19, 1962.
  • Luminescent-tagged stamps were first issued August 1, 1963.
  • The new nine color Huck press was first used to print the Christmas issue on November 1, 1968. (From the web site: http://www.junior-philatelists.com/index.shtml)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even hear they were going up...guess I had better pick up some 1 cents stamps..UGH.

    I only have a few bills that I have to still snail mail and every month I send a note inside with my check begging them to please come into this century and offer online billing!

    ReplyDelete