Sunday, May 3, 2009

It’s Good to be GREEN

Spring is here and I've been in the mood to get to some of that good old, deep down spring cleaning. I have been in my present location for four years now. When I moved in my style was modified-minimalist. That was good for at least the first two years, now these last two years have gained in strength and numbers. I feel I am suffocating in files and saved pages of crap. Last Thursday my granddaughter, Anna, came over to help me shed documents. In about three hours she had filled two of those large trash bags and we only have scratched the surface.

One thing that I became very aware of is that I must cut this paper umbilical cord that I am attached to – I thought receiving my bills electronically would satisfy my part to help to be GREEN. Now I find that I just duplicate everything on paper once it hits my computer. STOP THE INSANITY ANNIE!!! When I sit and look at what two or three years of paper trash looks like it makes me realize that a change is in order. So beginning TODAY I promise to have faith that my computer, that with all its wonderful and varied back-up options it will take good care of my monthly utility and credit card bills.

The condo project where I live has a total of 96 units, four buildings of twenty-four units each. We are a population of probably 150 people, more or less. We do not recycle here and I find that disturbing. When I asked an association board member when we were going to start a recycling project I was told we didn't have room for one. Well, you know what, I am not sure I find that credible. I am going to check with our waste company and find out exactly what is required in the way of space to put in recycling bins. If I can prepare a report with all of the requirements needed and draw up a little plan on getting word out to the residents' maybe the condo board would consider starting a recycle program.

Our small population here, I am sure, produces at least the per capita national average output of cans, bottles, cereal cartons, plastic containers, etc. that all can be recycled and not just carted off to the local dump. It is baby steps to progress, but that is where it starts. Deriba Merga and Salina Kosgei wouldn't have won the Boston Marathon without first taking baby steps.

For more information: http://green.yahoo.com/earthday/

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the recycling program at your condo. I went through the same quest with our trash company and they actually told me that they go through everything and separate out the recyclables. They said I could come watch. Some day I really will.

    ReplyDelete